• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

back support issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

berryjungle

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York.

The mother of my husbands child is taking him to court for violation and upward modification because he has not been able to pay her back support from before an order was made. He also lost his job, continued to pay mind you on the strength of a part time job but is due to increase this to full time in June. The issues is that he owes back support but we have just found out through the country of the court she resides in (in Europe) that until 2008 (child born 2005) that the mothers husbands name was on the birth certificate (she told the US courts she was single without a spouse at her hearing) and he was paying for the child, believing it was his own! When he found out the child was not his he removed his name from the birth certificate (2008) and divorced her. So not only did she misrepresent her circumstances to the US courts dramatically, but the child's welfare was being taken care of by a man who had been told he was the father of the child. My husband is not trying to dodge payment, but he does not have the back support money and it is my feeling that it was also awarded on the strength of false information and if the moeny speaks to the welfare of the child then the childs welfare was being compensated by another father. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? seems very odd to me.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York.

The mother of my husbands child is taking him to court for violation and upward modification because he has not been able to pay her back support from before an order was made. He also lost his job, continued to pay mind you on the strength of a part time job but is due to increase this to full time in June. The issues is that he owes back support but we have just found out through the country of the court she resides in (in Europe) that until 2008 (child born 2005) that the mothers husbands name was on the birth certificate (she told the US courts she was single without a spouse at her hearing) and he was paying for the child, believing it was his own! When he found out the child was not his he removed his name from the birth certificate (2008) and divorced her. So not only did she misrepresent her circumstances to the US courts dramatically, but the child's welfare was being taken care of by a man who had been told he was the father of the child. My husband is not trying to dodge payment, but he does not have the back support money and it is my feeling that it was also awarded on the strength of false information and if the moeny speaks to the welfare of the child then the childs welfare was being compensated by another father. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? seems very odd to me.
He should speak with an attorney.

BL

There's more to the history of how this progressed .

They were married ,he was named as father .

An initial hearing had to be held in NY ,if that's were the order(s) are from .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">