• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Backward Fence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FLORIDA

I am in Sarasota, Florida. While I was on holiday my brother-in-law and sister stayed in my house and as a gift they replaced my old rotten wooden fence with a new one. Today the city code enforcement officer left a violation notice on my door stating that no building permit was granted for fence. I went to the courthouse and filed what they called a after the fact day labor permit and will get the construction permit in the mail, the officer noted something about my fence in that the nice part is facing inward to my house while the backside with the long wooden support plank that goes behind the pickets is facing my neighbor's yard. The old fence was the same way. He told me under new rules the fence is backwards, My nice part should be facing out to my neighbor's house. I live in a non-deed restricted neighborhood. The backyward and left side neighbor's homes are ugly and trashy looking. Can the inspector force me to change the fence?

From City Web Site

There is no way I can afford to replace that fence again. Could I make some kind of mercy appeal to the city?

H. The finished side of all fences shall face the street or adjoining property.

I. All walls shall be finished on both sides.

J. Fences, walls and hedges must comply with the provisions of Section VII-1203.

K. No fencing, wall or hedge shall be erected so as to restrict access by emergency equipment to any building.

(Ord. No. 10-4912, 6-7-10)

L. Fire hydrants and connections to approved water supplies shall be accessible to the fire department

justalayman

There is no way I can afford to replace that fence again.
well, can you afford to take it down? that would be the alternate repair from what I can see.

or you can be a smart az like me and tell them both sides are finished. There is nothing left to do to either side:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">