• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bank Accounts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nalnk

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Husband always threatens divorce..... We have separate bank accounts and some joint accounts. He has a good job and wears a uniform, I have a good job as an executive assistant to the chairman of the company I work for. I work in New York City. I dress up for work. I spend a decent amount of my $ in clothing and accessories, shoes, etc.

Since he wears a uniform, he saves a bit more than I do but I put a fair amount of money away as well. I have a bit more in my 401K plan but he has more in his savings account.

This morning, in one of his mental meltdowns, he said he was going to hide his money that's in his saving account so that I don't go after it to take 1/2. Just a tidbit of information ...he co-mingled his pre marital $ with the money that he is earning during our marriage which is a big no-no on his part.. (he doesn't know that what he did, was a big mistake). Since I make more than he does, technically he can come after me for alimony. Since he co-mingled assets, I could go after his bank account and get 1/2....

So, what happens if he hides his $ ????

single317dad

You use the procedural tools at your disposal (subpoena of records, calling witnesses, admissions) to present the truth to the court. He can hide all the money he wants, but if the court determines either of you must compensate the other, you can be compelled to do so.

LdiJ

You use the procedural tools at your disposal (subpoena of records, calling witnesses, admissions) to present the truth to the court. He can hide all the money he wants, but if the court determines either of you must compensate the other, you can be compelled to do so.
I agree and will also add that just because one spouse makes more than the other, doesn't automatically mean that alimony will be an issue. The actual incomes of the spouses factor into the mix as well. For example, if one spouse earns 80k a year and the other 100k a year, the odds of any alimony being ordered are quite slim. Both spouses are making a generous wage.

nalnk

I agree and will also add that just because one spouse makes more than the other, doesn't automatically mean that alimony will be an issue. The actual incomes of the spouses factor into the mix as well. For example, if one spouse earns 80k a year and the other 100k a year, the odds of any alimony being ordered are quite slim. Both spouses are making a generous wage.
There is about a $20K difference in salary. I make more but my husband is a handyman and can build anything, fix anything, etc. He built a full porch on my house, reinstalled new windows, three new very modern bathrooms, .... he does better work than anything I've ever seen so his extra earning potential is there. He is also an A tech for a luxury brand car and he can fix cars on the outside... so he'd be fine if we divorced!
I don't plan on going after anything.... i would just want want's mine and be left alone to live in peace.

Bali Hai

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Husband always threatens divorce..... We have separate bank accounts and some joint accounts. He has a good job and wears a uniform, I have a good job as an executive assistant to the chairman of the company I work for. I work in New York City. I dress up for work. I spend a decent amount of my $ in clothing and accessories, shoes, etc.

Since he wears a uniform, he saves a bit more than I do but I put a fair amount of money away as well. I have a bit more in my 401K plan but he has more in his savings account.

This morning, in one of his mental meltdowns, he said he was going to hide his money that's in his saving account so that I don't go after it to take 1/2. Just a tidbit of information ...he co-mingled his pre marital $ with the money that he is earning during our marriage which is a big no-no on his part.. (he doesn't know that what he did, was a big mistake). Since I make more than he does, technically he can come after me for alimony. Since he co-mingled assets, I could go after his bank account and get 1/2....

So, what happens if he hides his $ ????
Don't be surprised with a good lawyer, that "big mistake" gets corrected.

Bali Hai

There is about a $20K difference in salary. I make more but my husband is a handyman and can build anything, fix anything, etc. He built a full porch on my house, reinstalled new windows, three new very modern bathrooms, .... he does better work than anything I've ever seen so his extra earning potential is there. He is also an A tech for a luxury brand car and he can fix cars on the outside... so he'd be fine if we divorced!
I don't plan on going after anything.... i would just want want's mine and be left alone to live in peace.
Depending on a host of factors, not just income, alimony cannot be ruled out at this point. You'll need to to put a dollar figure on his "hobbies".

Proserpina

Right...but there's a world of difference between $20k/$40k, and $120k/$140k.

$20k means nothing without context.

nalnk

Depending on a host of factors, not just income, alimony cannot be ruled out at this point. You'll need to to put a dollar figure on his "hobbies".
He doesn't have any hobbies.. we just bought a boat and i contributed about 1/3 of the money (marital). i won't ask for it back.

i bought brand new truck in 2012. he gave me $ (marital) and he threatens that he will get it back.

I thought that if he threatens me with alimony that i would go after his bank account that he co mingled with his funds prior to marriage. That is my only defense mechanism. He plays dirty, I don't, but might have to :(

Bali Hai

He doesn't have any hobbies.. we just bought a boat and i contributed about 1/3 of the money (marital). i won't ask for it back.

i bought brand new truck in 2012. he gave me $ (marital) and he threatens that he will get it back.

I thought that if he threatens me with alimony that i would go after his bank account that he co mingled with his funds prior to marriage. That is my only defense mechanism. He plays dirty, I don't, but might have to :(
He wears a handyman uniform?

LdiJ

The numbers are $80/$60k
Alimony isn't very likely with that kind of income differential. Its not impossible, but it isn't very likely. The difference between 60k and 70k is simply not enough to be a significant lifestyle changer.

nalnk

Alimony isn't very likely with that kind of income differential. Its not impossible, but it isn't very likely. The difference between 60k and 70k is simply not enough to be a significant lifestyle changer.
My thoughts are that alimony would be crazy to ask for (him asking me) because he can do everything/anything around the house. All of the things he's done in our home are so detailed and custom. He can live off of that (make even more money than he does now).. so if he did that on the weekends, he would be very well off.

Bali Hai

OP stated the difference is 60 and 80k.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">