• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bank One Mess

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bellasmom

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I opened an account through Bank One in 1993, and received ten free years of Roadgard Auto Club. In 11-03, I received a bill from BankOne (haven't used the card in years, I forgot I even had the account) for a one year subscription to Roadgard for $27.95. After MUCH ado trying to get the charge reversed, I finally ended up paying BankOne $55 ($27.95 + late fee), closing the BankOne account and cancelling the Roadgard Service. I thought it was over, but I was wrong.
In 11-04, I received another bill from BankOne for $27.95 for Roadgard Service. I formally disputed the charges with BankOne on 11-18-04. I confirmed that my account was indeed closed. I contacted Roadgard regarding cancellation, and was told that the account hadn't been cancelled in 2003, but they would cancel it now and credit my BankOne account. I was also told that I would get a refund for the 2003 transaction, and a letter of confirmation of cancellation in the mail. I have not received any such letter. I have talked to Roadgard eleven times now, all of it documented.
BankOne contacted me on 12-13-04 for in the form of a collection call. I had disputed the charges, so I read the Billing Rights Summary on the back of the bill to him and asked him why, exactly was he calling me? I haven't received any other collection calls. Today, 2-5-05, I received a letter from BankOne saying that "BankOne is unable to issue credits for merchandise purchased at Road Guard. It will be necessary to contact the merchant at xxx-xxxx to discuss this matter further with management. (I have called that number 11 times now, and I've talked to management, and they tell me that it is cancelled.) The letter goes on to say that I need to make a payment on my balance.
This is a small amount of money, but this is the second time I'm getting billed for it. I'm starting to suspect that 200 years from now a BankOne bill is going to be going out to me with a Road Guard charge on it. Any advice?

bellasmom

PA
If anyone has any ideas on how to resolve this problem, please post. I disputed the charges with BankOne again, but Roadguard still isn't refunding.

Tayla

bellasmom said:
PA
If anyone has any ideas on how to resolve this problem, please post. I disputed the charges with BankOne again, but Roadguard still isn't refunding.
Did you initially send in a formal letter to dispute this charge? Send Certified letter, return receipt? Both to the Roadguard Place and to Bank One? Provided you did follow in accordance with the dispute process as outlined in the card agreement. Sounds unreasonable that BankOne didnt close your account when you first paid off the balance. Was there a letter sent to request this?
Any correspondence documentation that you have can work in your favor if it goes to arbitration. Which may well be the next step to get this matter finalized.

bellasmom

I sent in a formal letter to BankOne to dispute the charge. I didn't send it registered, but I have received correspondence from them about the dispute. I followed the dispute process outlined in the agreement. I did not send Road Guard a copy of the dispute letter.
BankOne DID close the account, it was closed in March of 2004. But the Road Guard charge still went through, charged on 10-06-2004 on the closed account.
I was finally able to get an address for RoadGuard, and I plan to write to them. Should I send a copy of the dispute letter?

nolaET

My experience with bank one is that at least 99% of the people that work there are complete idiots. I could write a book on my bad experiences with them. In my horrible experience, it might save you time and pain to eat any existing charges and just make sure that it is officially cancelled in the future. It is not worth the time and energy to have to fight this if the charges go to collections. I went through this and it wasn't pretty.

bellasmom

I think I finally solved this problem. I managed to extract the name of the parent company from someone at the Road Guard customer service center (what a joke), and looked the company up on the internet (Assurant Solutions). From there I got their corporate address and phone number. I called corporate and endured long silences with their customer service people before they finally decided transferring me to Road Guard customer service, leaving me on hold and hanging up on me wasn't going to work & gave me some one useful. Honestly, I've spent hours on this, between hold time, useless discussion with CSR's and searching on the internet, but it's just the principle or principal (sp? :confused: )of the matter. So, I am supposed to be getting a check in the mail because they no longer have a business relationship with Bank One (I don't know why, they seem to be birds of a feather). We shall see, heh?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">