• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bank trying to collect legal fees.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sdo1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois
Almost 8 years ago I financed a piano from a bank. Seven years ago I filed chapter 7 and was discharged. (The piano was included in the bankruptcy).Initially I tried to reaffirm the piano, but couldn't come to an agreement. The bank continued to accept my payments. A couple of times along the way I fell behind (to the point where they were going to reposses the piano). I eventually caught up and now am in a position to pay it off early. The bank is wanting to charge me over $1000.00 in legal fees. Not intrest or penalities (legal fees). Because the piano was included in the bankruptcy, I was under the impression that the only thing the bank could do is repossess the piano. No collection letters (they sent many), no legal fees etc... The bank is stating that the contract allows for collection/legal fees. This debt was discharged. I am paying the full principle and intrest. I don't believe that they are entitled to any legal fees. I realize they incurred them, but maybe they should have thought of that when they wouldn't reaffirm.
Any thoughts? Do I owe this?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">