• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bankruptcy and new marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jkober

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NV
My boyfriend filed chapter 13 - we got married 11 days before it was confirmed. I also bought a car in my name only 4 days after it was confirmed. Is this bad? Should we get the marriage annulled?

Proserpina

My boyfriend filed chapter 13 - we got married 11 days before it was confirmed. I also bought a car in my name only 4 days after it was confirmed. Is this bad? Should we get the marriage annulled?

You need a valid reason to obtain an annulment; avoiding debt collection is not a valid reason.

You can, on the other hand, get divorced.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What did your hubby's BK attorney say when this question was presented to him/her?

Just Blue

Why would you get married with all these concerns?:confused:

Zigner

BK doesn't necessarily mean that there is anything WRONG with the person. Perhaps he had a skiing accident and the medical bills wiped him out. Perhaps he was in a business partnership and the business partner absconded with all of the money.

Proserpina

BK doesn't necessarily mean that there is anything WRONG with the person. Perhaps he had a skiing accident and the medical bills wiped him out. Perhaps he was in a business partnership and the business partner absconded with all of the money.
^^^ THIS.

Bankruptcy is often considered to be the most responsible thing you can do in these circumstances. You're not ignoring it, you're not trying to hide it - you're admitting that you need help starting over.

I'm okay with that.

Zigner

She was asking about annulment and divorce is realistically the only other possibility if you no longer want to be married.

Legal possibility, at least...
Yes, that is a good point. The answer related directly to the question :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">