• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bankruptcy on Court imposed fine?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

memah56

What is the name of your state? Idaho

Can you file bankruptcy on a court imposed fine? I was found in contempt of court on my divorce decree and the penalty was a $5,000 fine and my question is "can I list this fine on my bankruptcy when I am ready to file bankruptcy? Can I also list any judgement imposed by the Court to be paid to my ex-spouse?

Thank you for your help.

garrula lingua

NO, the contempt fine is exempt from BK.
Shame. Your remorse is over-powering !

That court had the ability to sentence you to jail, rather than the fine.
Pay the fine; it's better than jail & you don't need to tick off the Judge any further.

memah56

Oops, did I forget to mention

Idaho

Thanks for your response**************did I forget to mention that I also got 5 days in jail? Yep.....and just for the record (smile) I am really a nice person.... the reason I was in contempt is I was supposed to give 1/2 net proceeds on my house to the ex when I sold it, per our decree....BUT...at the previous "contempt" hearing, (my ex has filed 5 against me, all of them except this one was thrown out), anyway, at the previous trial, (different judge) that judge told us that my ex gave up all of his rights to any equity on the house when he was discharged from the loan on his bankruptcy....the judge said he no longer had any interest in the property so.....when I sold the house (which was in my name only) I didn't give him his lousy $6,000.

I guess contempt is contempt but I don't think I did anything intentionally wrong to be in contempt....but then I am not the Judge...(smile).

Thanks again for your answer.

Ladynred

that judge told us that my ex gave up all of his rights to any equity on the house when he was discharged from the loan on his bankruptcy....the judge said he no longer had any interest in the property so.....when I sold the house (which was in my name only) I didn't give him his lousy $6,000.
And that judge was 100% WRONG. Your ex only lost his liability for the MORTGAGE, he lost no interest in the equity of the ASSET.

Unfortunately, these types of fines are not dischargeable. The judgment for the amount you owe the EX may or may not be, you'd need to consult with a bankruptcy attorney to find out for sure.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">