• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Banks requiring Photo ID for cash

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Stephen1

I've never had to produce a photo ID when depositing cash. Perhaps it's unique to your bank, in which case the best way to get an answer to this question is to ask someone at the bank.
It is not unique to my bank. I have encounter this at more than one bank (not different branches of the same brand). The only answer I have gotten is that it is bank policy. Perhaps it is a regional thing.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My reference to 'cash' being loosely defined was an attempt to take a swipe at how the definition has changed from solely coins and currency to now include cashier’s checks (sometimes called a treasurer’s check or bank check), bank drafts, traveler’s checks, or money orders. When someone says deposits of cash I believe that most people think of only currency and coins not those other paper products.
"Cash" is the shorthand term meant to refer to all the items contained in the description. It is not "loosely defined".

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
What would a non-customer be making a deposit into? Do you mean that if someone tries to deposit cash into my account, and that person doesn't have an account with my bank, that the bank charges (either the depositor or me) a fee? Or do you mean if someone wants to cash a check at a bank at which they do not have an account?
Well, as a Girl Scout Cookie mom, I was responsible for making sure that the troop paid our cookie bill... At a bank that neither I nor the troop had an account. And although no id was required, they wanted my social security number if I deposited cash. They actually wanted me to say it aloud - I had to insist on being allowed to type it in instead. Even when it was less than $20. Specifically cash, not checks.

Just giving an example of a "non-customer" making a deposit.

I will add that being asked multiple times to state my social security number in a public place for no good reason inspired me to just pay the bill online. My troop's account is at a bank that doesn't require id for deposits, after all.

quincy

Another good reason for a bank to check the identification of depositors making a deposit into someone else’s account is to better trace the source of the funds should it later be deemed necessary (e.g., in cases of forged checks, counterfeit money).

Just Blue

I bet it’s Elvis’ “Suspicious Minds” that is stuck in your head. “Suspicious Eyes” is not as much of an ear worm.

But ... you’re welcome. Haha. :)
Yeah...that's the song. Suspicious Minds...Suspicious Eyes...it's all the same to my tired brain. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">