• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bar exam (didn't know where to post this)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Richard Smith

CONNECTICUT- is it possible to become a licensed lawyer by just passing the bar?Meaning without attending any university.( There's no such thing as a stupid question)-<sic>

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
California allows admission by apprenticeship.. hence Kim Kardashian. But you still have to do a bunch of steps.

LdiJ

CONNECTICUT- is it possible to become a licensed lawyer by just passing the bar?Meaning without attending any university.( There's no such thing as a stupid question)-<sic>

There are some states that allow for a different path to becoming a lawyer than traditional law school. Most of those involve an apprenticeship of some kind where one studies and works under an established lawyer, and then takes the bar exam. 100 plus years ago it was very prevalent and was called "reading for the law".

If you google, "becoming a lawyer without attending law school" you will get some information on those states that allow it and under what conditions they allow it.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
If you google, "becoming a lawyer without attending law school" you will get some information on those states that allow it and under what conditions they allow it.
While it is possible to go this route, I wouldn't recommend it and few do it. Especially if you want the flexibility to choose any state to practice in. Your options are much more limited for where you can practice if you take a non traditional route to being a lawyer.

FlyingRon

While it is possible to go this route, I wouldn't recommend it and few do it. Especially if you want the flexibility to choose any state to practice in. Your options are much more limited for where you can practice if you take a non traditional route to being a lawyer.
I know one person who went through the Virginia Law Reader program. It wasn't particularly easier than just attending law school.
Then there's California, which I think is what TM is addressing here.

doucar

I don't think TM is addressing California. In California, you can attend an unaccredited law school. After the first year you take the baby bar. If you pass that, you can complete your law school and take the Bar along with everyone else. It is one of the reasons that the pass rate in in California is so low. If you just factor in accredited law school graduates, it is about the same as other states.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I think the point that TM is making is that even though CA allows this route, he could not take the bar exam in CA, become licensed in CA, but then practice in CT (which is, after all, the state the OP asked about) since CT does not permit it. And that's without even getting into the issue of reciprocity.

adjusterjack

And there's the potential limitations on employment opportunities with law firms that might require a more formal education.

Richard Smith

Thank you for your responses,it's a shame that someone with good retention,and a gift for seeing the approach a prosecutor(s) is leaning towards cannot put ones ability to strategize or apply ones knack to recall even the most obscure precedents,a fluid understanding of the law,it's procedures, syllogistic logic, rhetoric etc. Can't put these to a good use.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thank you for your responses,it's a shame that someone with good retention,and a gift for seeing the approach a prosecutor(s) is leaning towards cannot put ones ability to strategize or apply ones knack to recall even the most obscure precedents,a fluid understanding of the law,it's procedures, syllogistic logic, rhetoric etc. Can't put these to a good use.
That grammatical mess won't get you through school.

PayrollHRGuy

Just because you can see where a TV or movie writer is going and have a good memory doesn't qualify you to be a lawyer.

Richard Smith

Its unnerving to conclude through observation that so many students of the law are predisposed to assumption!
Lets instead hypothesize that to succeed in such a demanding field requires a pathological amount of self-confidence.(i wouldn't compare the results of a voice to text response while working on more elevated tasks-
to grammatically dependent test results.)
Nor is it wise to presume armchair litigation,though the assumption brought a laugh to my employer.
I wish i could say more however,anonymity protects both those that can set aside their ego for a skillset that comes effortlessly to myself.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Its unnerving to conclude through observation that so many students of the law are predisposed to assumption!
Lets instead hypothesize that to succeed in such a demanding field requires a pathological amount of self-confidence.(i wouldn't compare the results of a voice to text response while working on more elevated tasks-
to grammatically dependent test results.)
Nor is it wise to presume armchair litigation,though the assumption brought a laugh to my employer.
I wish i could say more however,anonymity protects both those that can set aside their ego for a skillset that comes effortlessly to myself.
Huh?
If you can't find the time to present yourself in a coherent way, then please feel free to seek local legal counsel.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">