• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Before the order is signed by the judge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

82nd Airborne

North Carolina: I was just awarded primary custody of my two daughters. I just received the printed out copy of the order from my attorney to review the proposed order before she sends it to the judge to sign. Am I able to contest and possibly change some of the visitation times the judge awarded the mother, especially if I have strong reasoning behind it?

LdiJ

North Carolina: I was just awarded primary custody of my two daughters. I just received the printed out copy of the order from my attorney to review the proposed order before she sends it to the judge to sign. Am I able to contest and possibly change some of the visitation times the judge awarded the mother, especially if I have strong reasoning behind it?
It better be strong enough to be willing to rock the boat.

What is it that you are objecting to?

CJane

I know you have multiple threads, and I'm not going to go look them up... was there a HEARING/TRIAL in which these things were decided, and your attorney is just writing up the judgment?

justalayman

you cannot object to anything unless the order as presented is different than the order the judge stated. This is nothing more than "proof reading" of the order to ensure it is the same as the judge stated in the court.

82nd Airborne

Yes there was a trial/hearing and the judge handed her ruling. There were no more words spoken. The judge awarded the mom two months in the summer, every third weekend (not third weekend of the month), every spring break, alternating holidays Plus 6 extra visits a year. I in no way want to keep the girls from their mom is just that the girls and I normally take vacations but this time has been taken. I don't want to just be associated with the education iron fist where before, the relaxing shoes untied dad

CJane

Yes there was a trial/hearing and the judge handed her ruling. There were no more words spoken. The judge awarded the mom two months in the summer, every third weekend (not third weekend of the month), every spring break, alternating holidays Plus 6 extra visits a year. I in no way want to keep the girls from their mom is just that the girls and I normally take vacations but this time has been taken. I don't want to just be associated with the education iron fist where before, the relaxing shoes untied dad
If this was a trial/hearing setting, the time to object to the judge's ruling was while you were still in the courtroom. It sounds like Mom got a pretty standard long distance parenting plan, and your attorney should have made you aware that it was likely that you'd lose most of the summer, etc. That's what happens when there is a large distance between parents and one retains primary custody.

You will still have one month in the summer, 2/3 of the weekends outside the summer, and alternating holidays. If you can't spend "shoes untied" time with your kids during that amount of non-school time, then I don't know what to tell you.

LdiJ

If this was a trial/hearing setting, the time to object to the judge's ruling was while you were still in the courtroom. It sounds like Mom got a pretty standard long distance parenting plan, and your attorney should have made you aware that it was likely that you'd lose most of the summer, etc. That's what happens when there is a large distance between parents and one retains primary custody.

You will still have one month in the summer, 2/3 of the weekends outside the summer, and alternating holidays. If you can't spend "shoes untied" time with your kids during that amount of non-school time, then I don't know what to tell you.
Not all school systems have a 12 week summer. Ours has only 8 weeks now. However, most school systems are going to be at least 10 weeks.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Actually, he can appeal for a reason of law but not until after he receives the final appealable order.

CJane

Actually, he can appeal for a reason of law but not until after he receives the final appealable order.
Sure, but he's not asking about an appeal. This is actually his second question about changing/tacking things on to the order before it exists.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">