• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

being asked to resign or face the sack

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nismodan

montrose, angus, scotland

Hi. my cousin is a barmaid at a bar in scotland.
On saturday night she went out with friends into the bar and was served 10 shots of sambuca in a row which she also downed.
Obviously this is a strong drink and she ended up rather drunk. (understatement of the year)
She has since been told the area manager was in and seen her. she was asked to leave due to her being so drunk which she did.
She has now been told that she must resign or she will be fired.
Can they do this to her.
She was in her own personal time.
And this bar served her a ridiculous number of very powerful shots that could have proved lethal in a time when we are supposed to be promoting responsible drinking.
any help greatly appreciated.
regards dan

Isis1

sorry. US LAW only. as far as i can tell, no one here practices or has any knowledge of scotland law.

on a side note....ewwww...10 shots of sumbuca? that stuff tastes like liquid licorice.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
FYI, in the US this would be quite legal in all 50 states with the possible exception of Montana.

commentator

And in the U.S., one should always be fired, rather than quit. What is the "good cause" that they are going to give for firing her? Being overserved? Did she break any mirrors or kick any butts? Any charges pressed?

I know they have unemployment benefits in the U.K., know little about qualifying for it. Did she leave driving? Is there any sort of liability for the bar if they allow you to do that there? Remind me not to drive in Scotland!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">