• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

being harrassed by LL to sign unfair and illegal lease agreement!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fairladyin AZ

What is the name of your state? Arizona Maricopa County

I am being harrassed every day by my landlord to sign a rental agreement that has very strict and strange rules in it. I won't sign the agreement because she had me move-in on a verbal agreement because we're friends. Now she has written up her own rental agreement for me to sign and I can't do it because ishe's demanding us to pay 960.00 per month for rent but wants me to pay half of it 480.00 on the date when her bank goes into her account. example. i have to pay every 2 weeks even if there are 5 weeks in the month she still wants me to pay an extra 480.00 like in december for instance. it will have 3 pay periods if you get paid bi weekly. :mad: She is asking for rent to be made a month in advance as well as the every 2 week thing. that's alot of money for a slum like house that is missing walls , sinks, 2 windows, flooring, locks, and house keys and has vermon! ect.

Q: who can help me do an inspection of this property to see if she has the right to ask for so much monies for rent? also, she's forcing me to agree to terms that she promised would never bring up or hold me to. We have only been here for 3 weeks and she's turned phycho on me.

Q:Without us having a lease or rental agreement, can my landlord simply kick me out for not wanting to sign the unfair rental document? or can I take her to court and have a judge decide how unfair and possibly illegal her agreement really is.

Q: we helped her do alot of repairs and have not gotten back what she owes us. which was just peace and quiet. if she keeps harrassing me can i move out and withhold rent or hold her responcible for paying for my moving expences.

BelizeBreeze

You have already been told she can ask what the market will bear.

You also have the right to move to a place you can afford.

While she cannot kick you to the curb, she CAN evict you and that will be a blight on your credit report.

It's your decision.

fairladyin AZ

how can i find out what the market will bear?

BTW, thanks for the info. it is very much appreciated.

Where can i go which types of websites can i visit that can show me what the market will bear for rent in Arizona?

ENASNI

Q: who can help me do an inspection of this property to see if she has the right to ask for so much monies for rent? also, she's forcing me to agree to terms that she promised would never bring up or hold me to. We have only been here for 3 weeks and she's turned phycho on me.
Um, she can charge whatever she wants, you can get a housing inspector in there, but WHY.. LEAVE!!!

Q:Without us having a lease or rental agreement, can my landlord simply kick me out for not wanting to sign the unfair rental document? or can I take her to court and have a judge decide how unfair and possibly illegal her agreement really is.
Never live with a friend!!!!! okay... after you are there for another week, you will be considered month to month, she needs to give you thirty days notice to leave.. LEAVE..

Q
: we helped her do alot of repairs and have not gotten back what she owes us. which was just peace and quiet. if she keeps harrassing me can i move out and withhold rent or hold her responcible for paying for my moving expences
Leave leave LEave leave LEave LEave LEave.

Okay did I tell you yet. LEAVE!!!!!!!

ecmst12

I agree. Get the hell out as soon as you find a better place! And next time, look at the lease and sign/don't sign BEFORE you move in!

Who's Liable?

fairladyin AZ said:

Where can i go which types of websites can i visit that can show me what the market will bear for rent in Arizona?
Welcome to AZ LL laws!!!

Are you in Maricopa County? If so, you can report the lady to the County Assessor... ALL rental properties are to be registered with the County Assessor to legally collect rent...

You shouldn't withhold rent as AZ is a very LL friendly state... What you can do is send the rental payment via CRR to the place listed as her legal address... She cannot deny she received it as in the state of AZ, a letter sent via CRR is deemed "delivered" on the 5th day after it was received regardless of the recieving parties signature...

John Se

Newspaper

fairladyin AZ said:

have you tried the arizona republic, that's where I advertise for tennants.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">