• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bill Sharing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

er27j17s

Indiana

I hope this is the right place for this. I moved into a home with some friends and family. Part of the deal of me staying was instead of paying rent I was to take over one of the bills, gas & electric. I have paid the bill every month but it remains a month behind, from before I moved in. Since it is that month behind I've been accused of not paying it. When I show receipts I'm told it proves nothing and that I could fake them.
It's gotten kind of bad in the arguments. What I want to know is using the receipts and confirmation numbers, can I sue for reimbursement of what I paid? I'm sick of being called a liar by someone who won't even take the time to confirm the receipts themselves.

LdiJ

Indiana

I hope this is the right place for this. I moved into a home with some friends and family. Part of the deal of me staying was instead of paying rent I was to take over one of the bills, gas & electric. I have paid the bill every month but it remains a month behind, from before I moved in. Since it is that month behind I've been accused of not paying it. When I show receipts I'm told it proves nothing and that I could fake them.
It's gotten kind of bad in the arguments. What I want to know is using the receipts and confirmation numbers, can I sue for reimbursement of what I paid? I'm sick of being called a liar by someone who won't even take the time to confirm the receipts themselves.
Did they perhaps expect you to catch the bill up as well as pay it on time?

adjusterjack

I was to take over one of the bills, gas & electric.
Is the account in your name? If yes, then your credit score is taking a hit for the past due amount and there are probably late fees tacked on every month.

If it's not in your name, are you handed the bill every month? Do you retain a copy? Do you pay by check?

When you received the very first bill after moving in did you not see that there was a past due amount? If there was, did you not question it at that time?

Answer the above questions and you might get some helpful comments.

LdiJ

You are arguing over a small amount of money (one month) vs the substantial value of the deferred rent you recieve.

Maybe this isn't a hill to die on.
We are talking Indiana here. The amount of rent saved might not be so substantial. For example, in one of the better apartment complexes in Indianapolis, you can get a large 3 bedroom, 2.5 bathroom unit for $1300.00 a month. You can get one for under $1000.00 in a mid range complex.

Last edited:

FarmerJ

If your not listed in a written lease then is it time to find a new place to live and give them your proper written notice telling them your moving out ( your state statutes will guide you as to how much notice you should give if you are not in a set term lease and just month to month at will tenant.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">