• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bill to increase age of majority

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

truebluemd

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? md

I just read up on a bill to change the age of majority in md to 22. That would mean CS is paid until child is emancipated, dies, marries, graduates college, or turns 22. Is this common in most states to propose such changes and it never goes anywhere?

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? md

I just read up on a bill to change the age of majority in md to 22. That would mean CS is paid until child is emancipated, dies, marries, graduates college, or turns 22. Is this common in most states to propose such changes and it never goes anywhere?
merciful heavens. i sure hope so!!! :confused: as a custodial parent....that is RIDONKULOUS!

truebluemd

merciful heavens. i sure hope so!!! :confused: as a custodial parent....that is RIDONKULOUS!
Me too. I think that would be such a headache for both parties involved. Its legally 21 in the district of columbia right now.

I did read it was submitted before and was received unfavorably so the likelyhood of this getting passsed seems nil

janemc

I just got my oldest (18 1/2) to the age of majority. I don't want her back. Just Kidding.:D:D
22 is an odd age.

VeronicaLodge

I just got my oldest (18 1/2) to the age of majority. I don't want her back. Just Kidding.:D:D
22 is an odd age.
they are probably basing it on 4 years of college. but i wonder if they make it 22, would that mean that anyone under that age could not joined the armed forces then?

RRevak

The only thing thats ever bothered me about the current age of majority is that one can be considered responsible enough to fight/die for their country but they arent considered responsible enough to walk into a bar and have a beer. Same with owning a firearm etc. I'm only mildly a proponent for raising the age simply because how many people do you know who are honestly THAT mature at 18? IMPO I think 21 is a bit more reasonable.

*just give me a sec to put my raincoat on before the tomato's begin launching :D*

Isis1

The only thing thats ever bothered me about the current age of majority is that one can be considered responsible enough to fight/die for their country but they arent considered responsible enough to walk into a bar and have a beer. Same with owning a firearm etc. I'm only mildly a proponent for raising the age simply because how many people do you know who are honestly THAT mature at 18? IMPO I think 21 is a bit more reasonable.

*just give me a sec to put my raincoat on before the tomato's begin launching :D*
i think that may have a lot to do with how parents are raising their kids these days. they are SUPPOSED to be mature at the age of 18. we don't seem to be doing a very good job of it as a society.

truebluemd

at 18, I dont think that any childs is ready to enter the world on their own. Possible at 21. I moved out at 22 and never looked back, but thats just me. I agree with you though somewhat. Not saying it should go to 22, but either lower the legal age to 18, or raise it to 21 across the board.

I am trying to learn about this delegate that proposed the bill and see whats his motive. Its been introduced before but was received unfavorably by senate, and once before, but was withdrawn.

truebluemd

i think that may have a lot to do with how parents are raising their kids these days. they are SUPPOSED to be mature at the age of 18. we don't seem to be doing a very good job of it as a society.
So, by 18, all kids should have a job and living on their own to the point we dont have to financially support them?

Isis1

So, by 18, all kids should have a job and living on their own to the point we dont have to financially support them?
they should have the capability. the know how. at 18, i flew out the door. literally. as did my sister. neither parents WANTED us to leave. both my sister and i did survive.

truebluemd

they should have the capability. the know how. at 18, i flew out the door. literally. as did my sister. neither parents WANTED us to leave. both my sister and i did survive.
at 18, I think I would have been ready, but my brother, would not have. Unfortunately all kids in the same household dont learn and grow to have the same capabilities at the age of majority...

Isis1

at 18, I think I would have been ready, but my brother, would not have. Unfortunately all kids in the same household dont learn and grow to have the same capabilities at the age of majority...
i know a few 30 year olds that still live at home with mommy and are not "ready". some were forced out. they lived. one had the parent die, so he had no choice except to learn VERY fast. it's amazing what a person can learn when they absolutely HAVE to.

i really believe in the sink or swim method. when they sink....parent can help them float again...but pushes them back out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">