• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Blackmail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sweetgirl86

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? SC

Hi, first post here so go easy on me :) here we go. So im outside my apartment complex walking my dog the other evening and another lady in the complex (ive never met) comes running up to me franticaly saying "Hey about 4am this morning I seen this guy (describimg my ex bf and his car) pouring a jug of liquid all over the back of your car, my bf chased him off, we didnt know if it was gas so we went to check it out and we think it was urine". She even gave me a written statement about it all, said it looked like he was trying to pour it thru my convertables plastic rear window which is half gone and ductaped up. So I went in and txted him with the exact conversation following...

Me: Hey, how are you?
Him: Good you?
Me: Wanna tell me where youre staying now or should I arrange a work visit?
Him: What did I do? Im still at the same place.
Me: I think you know... Better be glad it wasnt me that chased your *** off
Him: you just dont stop do you? Why dont you leave me alone like I did you when you asked? (In reality its him that wont leave me alone, much older guy)
Me: I think its the other way around according to the eye witnesses
Me: You could be a nice guy and offer to clean up my car for me, going to be about $300
Him: im tired of the games and threats, just leave me alone
Me: OK, I sure will.
Him: Im not gonna let you upset me

Now I have been avoiding contact with this guy and hadnt spoke to him period in 2 weeks till now, but anyways I then take a picture of the witness statement and send it to him and the convo continues...

Me: Sure you dont just wanna clean my car up for me buddy? Last chance. Fairplay was it? (The town he works in) you need help you nasty b******
Me: Well hoped I wouldnt ha e to do this but I guess I gott make a phone call, just in case you try to call me or anything.
Me: Youre crazy and when they get here ill be sure and ask for a restraining order in case you get any other crazy ideas.
Him: Its all about money, you just want more.
Me: I just want the nastiness cleaned off my car
Me: Idk tho, you might make the local paper for this crazy s***
Him: Blah blaah, quit harassing me, get lost.

Ok, so then I call the cops out and give them the statement, cop calls him (tried to get him to admit being there by saying they had a vid but he didnt crack) then he calls the witness (which wasnt home then so idk what was said on the phone) he looks at my car and of course there's no real damage, then he tells me hes going to file the report as "unfounded" since I didnt see it and the witness dosnt know him personally, basically said theres no damage get over it. So my question is, is there any chance I inadvertantly committed blackmail in that convo? Im scared he may try to press charges on me now out of spite when/if he finds out that report was "unfounded". I even a lil scared it could have been a set up all along and he knows this girl that ran up to me and told me hoping id do this. Im thinking it would come down to the wording I used, never claimed I was gonna call the cops on him if he didnt pay me specifically but is it close ebough I could be charged? Thanks for any help, and sorry for the long post.

Hi, first post here so go easy on me :) here we go. So im outside my apartment complex walking my dog the other evening and another lady in the complex (ive never met) comes running up to me franticaly saying "Hey about 4am this morning I seen this guy (describimg my ex bf and his car) pouring a jug of liquid all over the back of your car, my bf chased him off, we didnt know if it was gas so we went to check it out and we think it was urine". She even gave me a written statement about it all, said it looked like he was trying to pour it thru my convertables plastic rear window which is half gone and ductaped up. So I went in and txted him with the exact conversation following...

Him: you just dont stop do you? Why dont you leave me alone like I did you when you asked? (In reality its him that wont leave me alone, much older guy)
Me: You could be a nice guy and offer to clean up my car for me, going to be about $300

Now I have been avoiding contact with this guy and hadnt spoke to him period in 2 weeks till now, but anyways I then take a picture of the witness statement and send it to him and the convo continues...

Me: Sure you dont just wanna clean my car up for me buddy? Last chance. Fairplay was it? (The town he works in) you need help you nasty b******
Me: Well hoped I wouldnt ha e to do this but I guess I gott make a phone call, just in case you try to call me or anything.
Me: Youre crazy and when they get here ill be sure and ask for a restraining order in case you get any other crazy ideas.

Ok, so then I call the cops out and give them the statement, cop calls him (tried to get him to admit being there by saying they had a vid but he didnt crack) then he calls the witness (which wasnt home then so idk what was said on the phone) he looks at my car and of course there's no real damage, then he tells me hes going to file the report as "unfounded" since I didnt see it and the witness dosnt know him personally, basically said theres no damage get over it. So my question is, is there any chance I inadvertantly committed blackmail in that convo? Im scared he may try to press charges on me now out of spite when/if he finds out that report was "unfounded". I even a lil scared it could have been a set up all along and he knows this girl that ran up to me and told me hoping id do this. Im thinking it would come down to the wording I used, never claimed I was gonna call the cops on him if he didnt pay me specifically but is it close ebough I could be charged? Thanks for any help, and sorry for the long post.

It's not likely that you'll be successfully prosecuted or sued - but seriously, in the future you need to NOT text him. You made a mistake in even contacting him. Surely the logical thing to do would be to make a report to the police instead of blowing up his phone with silly texts?

quincy

There is very little chance any charges of any kind will come from your report to the police or from the texts you sent to your ex-boyfriend.

That said, I think you and your ex-boyfriend need to leave each other alone - no texting each other, no calling each other, no visiting each other, no contact of any kind. You both sound like you're too old to be playing these games.

sandyclaus

Why would it cost $300 to "repair" the rear end of a car that had urine poured over it? All that would need to happen is that the vehicle (back end) would need to be washed.

It's not like this was acid, or something equally damaging to the vehicle. And if he poured it through an already damaged and duct-taped convertible plastic window, all that would do is expand the area to be cleaned. Unless the ex did the damage to the plastic window (which I'm not hearing that he did), he isn't responsible for fixing that.

You reported it to the police. Thank the couple that spoiled his crime. File it and move on with your life.

sweetgirl86

Thanks for the help

Guess I got scared when I seen the statute for blackmail in sc and it being up to 10 years in prison! It also specifically mentioned threatning to file criminal charges if they dont pay you, so this wouldnt count as that? Say we have the hardest prosecuters in existance her and they wanna hang you for anything, worst case scenario?

quincy

Guess I got scared when I seen the statute for blackmail in sc and it being up to 10 years in prison! It also specifically mentioned threatning to file criminal charges if they dont pay you, so this wouldnt count as that? Say we have the hardest prosecuters in existance her and they wanna hang you for anything, worst case scenario?
Worst case scenario? Probably that your car will start to smell if someone doesn't clean the urine off it.

Eekamouse

Did you even go check your car to see if there was urine poured on it before you started texting your ex with your accusations?

sweetgirl86

The urine was supposedly poured on the car at 4am, it wasnt till later that evening she told me, so no. From a legal standpoint could this conversation be considered blackmail?

quincy

The urine was supposedly poured on the car at 4am, it wasnt till later that evening she told me, so no. From a legal standpoint could this conversation be considered blackmail?
No.

Just clean your car.

Forget the ex-boyfriend before he seeks a restraining order against you.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
With your mouth you need to change your user name. You are not a sweet girl. You could get in trouble legally for this bull if you keep it up. So knock it off. Depending on the actual facts that you haven't told us, you could get charged with harassment, assault, menacing or other things. But again those depend on things you haven't revealed.

sweetgirl86

Thanks for those thats helped. Kinda confused as to why im getting jumped on by some? The man randomly pours a jug of urine on my car and im the one harrassing him? I dont want anything else to do with this guy.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Thanks for those thats helped. Kinda confused as to why im getting jumped on by some? The man randomly pours a jug of urine on my car and im the one harrassing him? I dont want anything else to do with this guy.
Look at how you have presented yourself. And you have NO proof that it was HIM. Eyewitness identification is NOT conclusive. Prove he did it. Then realize how you approached him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">