• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Blind, discrimination, harrassment, unfair treatment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

homefree

What is the name of your state? Minnesota
I'm blind in my right eye so I went to my union and asked them if my employer would accommodate me in a way that I thought was a reasonable accommodation and they laughed at me and said you have to be kidding, so I told the union that I was going to try and ask anyways, I thought that the most they could tell me was NO. :confused:
So I get to work and ask my head boss and he laughed at me too. :confused:

Well on top of all this they have been making fun of me having one eye, I've also been black balled from other things at work that I don't think is right. :mad:

I have strong evidents on this to bring them to court but the thing is, will they continue with the harrassment and will I get my accommodation that I asked for or a reasonable one. The accomadation that I asked for would cost maybe $500.00 to help my do my job safely. And for some reason they think that I'm just going to take the abuse and not say anything. :mad:

I've worked at this company for 10+ years and have had enough of the discrimination so I got a hold of the eeoc and started the paper work. :D

So would you do what I'm doing and do you think I have a strong enough case to pin them to the wall?

Beth3

So would you do what I'm doing If you're being subjected to on-going harassment because of your disability, yes.

and do you think I have a strong enough case to pin them to the wall? Impossible to say. We just don't have enough information. You may wish to discuss the particulars of your situation with an employment law attorney for an expert opinion.

homefree

I guess I could add a little more to this,

There's a boss of mine that call's me "OLE ONE EYE", now that's not right!
Well I have a glass eye and of course it isn't going to move like the other one, but another employee said to me that I should get a eye made with a naked lady on it so that every time I would blind the lady would be dressed and the next time she would be naked and so on. We'll I got that on tape and he don't know it. But I'm sick of the harassing crap so I'm doing everything that I can to collect as much evident's as I can! My employer is going to have a hard time defending them self's when I get my day in court, mark my word's! :D

Beth3

I can't tell if your coworkers are trying to be funny or they're purposefully trying to be mean but did you ever tell them you don't appreciate their comments and to please knock it off?

homefree

I can't tell if your coworkers are trying to be funny or they're purposefully trying to be mean but did you ever tell them you don't appreciate their comments and to please knock it off?

Yes i have told them that, and my employer has a no harassment policy witch everybody knows about. But it's pretty crappy when the boss even harasses me! The company that I work for employee's thousands of people so they should know the law's, heck even when I went to our company doctor for my 2 year physical he told me that if had known that I was blind at the time I was hired that he wouldn't of passed me for the job. WTF

xylene

Yes i have told them that, and my employer has a no harassment policy witch everybody knows about. But it's pretty crappy when the boss even harasses me! The company that I work for employee's thousands of people so they should know the law's, heck even when I went to our company doctor for my 2 year physical he told me that if had known that I was blind at the time I was hired that he wouldn't of passed me for the job. WTF
WTF indeed. The company doctor did not notice you do not have binocular vision? That just screams incompetence.

You have been told what to do, you need to contact the EEOC

www.eeoc.gov

1-800-669-4000 from 8:30 am to 5:00 Eastern time

In Minnesota, the office is

EEOC
Towle Building
330 South Second Avenue, Suite 430
Minneapolis, MN 55401-2224

homefree

Thanks everybody for you're help. I have the eeoc papers to fill out and send in.
Wish me luck, 100k year job on the line here by the way. :confused: but this stuff has to stop! :mad:

homefree

Update:
I talked to a lawyer about my case and he told me to send a letter to my human resources office and one to my union asking for a reasonable accommodation, so I did that last week and my boss sent me a letter back to have me give him a call, so I did and I asked him for a reasonable accommodation and he said this time that they didn't have any problem helping me out. Before he was going to change my job. So now i thought that everything was over as far as my accommodation was concerned.

Well just the other day I get another letter from my boss telling me that the human resources office would like to meet with me. WTF... so I call my union so they can be there to witness everything and document it all.

Is this right, can they drill me like this, after all they have sent me through a bunch of eye tests already at my local eye clinic and they know my disability.

I'll attach a copy of the last letter that I got from my boss.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b52/littlebluerocket/img042.jpg

Hot Topic

The note should be professionally formatted, but there's nothing in it to suggest that you're going to be "drilled." Just go in and reiterate everything that you've told us. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">