• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Blind guy was told NO for a accommodation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

homefree

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN
I'm 100% blind in my right eye. :cool:
Now this is the deal, I have a job where I drive very large mining equipment and I asked if I could be put on a grader because they are a lot smaller in size and I can see way better in them.
So I asked the boss for this change and he told me NO, so I told the boss that I don't think he was right and that I was going to get a hold of the eeoc and fill a charge and he told me that I better watch it because it could come back at me and burn me. So basicly he told me that I don't have any right's. :mad:
So I went to our safety department and talked to the person in charge of safety in my area and he told me that he needed more time to find out what he could do for me. So a few day's go by and I go up and talk to this safety guy, he tell's me that he wanted me to go through a medical evaluation and see where I'm at as far as my eye sight goes. I told him that I was put through a medical evaluation when I got in to a accident about 8 years ago. So he told me that they have to take me off the big production trucks no matter what, but now they want to give me a sh*t job with lower pay and in a different area. Now as of today I haven't been moved and nobody has made a dission on what to do with me.

All I'm asking for is a accommodation for the safety of me and my fellow employee's and to be put on to another piece of equipment in my area that I'm trained in to that would be safer, there is also a opening that's coming up in that area. Am I asking for to much or what? :confused:

What are you're thought's on this?
Is it worth a fight?
And isn't it my right to ask for a accommodation when I feel that I need one?

enjay

I think it's a huge liability for your employer to have a partially blind person operating heavy equipment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">