• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bond and rescheduled hearing by lawyer? STRESS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? CO

I posted bond for a friend in the amount of $1500. Her hearing is scheduled for Monday March 17. She has obtained a lawyer. The lawyer is telling her that she doesn't have to appear on Monday. So I called the lawyer to inquire. He says he is submitting paperwork to vacate this hearing and setting another hearing. He says he hasn't done this "yet." The court also tells me that he hasn't done this yet. IF he does this properly and timely... it is my understanding that the bond will still be OK and that we will get this money back after the rescheduled hearing. Does this sound right?

Also, he says he will be submitting this rescheduling paperwork this week, by Thursday a the latest. Is this enough time for a hearing that is supposed to be Monday?

Any advice for me to insure this money comes back to me?

AND

"Do I get my money back after the defendant goes to court?
When the bailbond has served its purpose, the surety will be exonerated (i.e., released from the obligation). Exoneration normally occurs when the proceeding is terminated in some way or on the return of the defendant to custody. After conviction, the defendant appears for sentence. If sentenced to imprisonment the defendant is committed to the custody of the sheriff, and the liability of the surety terminates. You will not receive any money back that you have paid a bail bondsman. " <--- What does this mean? :confused: If whoever is bonded out gets jail time the money is forfeited? WOW!

Last edited:

seniorjudge

Q: Does this sound right?

A: Yes.

Q: Also, he says he will be submitting this rescheduling paperwork this week, by Thursday a the latest. Is this enough time for a hearing that is supposed to be Monday?

A: Yes.

Q: Any advice for me to insure this money comes back to me?

A: Make sure your friend shows up for court.

Q: Do I get my money back after the defendant goes to court?

A: I don't know; I have not seen your agreement with the court. The time to ask that
question is BEFORE you plunked down the dough.

Q: "You will not receive any money back that you have paid a bail bondsman." What does this mean?

A: I am not sure how that is unclear. If you give dough to a bail bondsman, you don't get it back. Period. End of story. Even if. If that is not the question, then rephrase it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">