• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Boss says to stay home, but still docking pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

Yesterday Wisconsin was in the midst of a blizzard. I tried to go in to work and open the shop, however, the driveway and parking lot at my work location had not been cleared and there was no possible way to get in nor was there any other places to park. I first tried calling the home home office (in a town 2.5 hours away), and it too was not open, so I called my boss's cell phone and left a voice message for him with the situation and that I had no other option than to return home, and to please call me back when he got the message. About an hour and a half later, he calls and we go over the situation again, that the people charged with plowing us out had not done so, and I was unable to enter the property and open the store. He told me to remain home for the day, and he would rectify the plowing situation, and also said if I had the cell number of our service technician to call him and let him know to stay home as well, but I did not have his cell number. I am salary, and my job duties would not qualify me for exempt status. I learned today that I am to be docked a day's pay for yesterday, even though he said to remain at home the rest of the day.

I am still in my first 90 day probationary period, so I have no personal or sick days available.

I did not just call out of work. It was impossible to "get" onto the work property, even though I drove there threw a blizzard and attempted to work for the day. I was expressly instructed by my boss to stay home the rest of the day. Can he still dock my pay?

As a non-exempt employee, you have no expectation of getting paid when you do not work.
That is sort of what I thought, but I wanted to be sure. It's wasn't as thought I didn't try to work yesterday. (I can't say I enjoyed being out in a blizzard but...) I wasn't sure if it made a difference or not.

Thank you.

moburkes

That is sort of what I thought, but I wanted to be sure. It's wasn't as thought I didn't try to work yesterday. (I can't say I enjoyed being out in a blizzard but...) I wasn't sure if it made a difference or not.

Thank you.
It's also not your boss's fault you didn't work. Blame it on God. You'll get your "paycheck" later. From Him.

It's also not your boss's fault you didn't work. Blame it on God. You'll get your "paycheck" later. From Him.

Well, in a round about way it is. But it's no matter. You see, he just "assumed" that the business next door was going to plow us out as they offered to last year. He'd never actually confirmed with them that the same offer still stood for this season.

Their lot was fully cleaned up, but between the blowing drifts and what the road plows pushed up against the driveway entrances, there was no getting into our property at all.

moburkes

Well, in a round about way it is. But it's no matter. You see, he just "assumed" that the business next door was going to plow us out as they offered to last year. He'd never actually confirmed with them that the same offer still stood for this season.

Their lot was fully cleaned up, but between the blowing drifts and what the road plows pushed up against the driveway entrances, there was no getting into our property at all.
Whatever his assumptions you did not work. You don't get paid when you don't work. If it wasn't for the weather, this situation would not have occurred.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">