• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Both me and my children are being threatened, please help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KR917

What is the name of your state? New York, Manhattan
I have previously posted on this subject before.
I cashed some checks for this woman that lives in my building. It turned out that these checks were counterfeit. They were actually made on her friends computer. (I just found out where and how she got these checks) I also found out that she had been planning this for a while, she told one of her "friends" that she chose me because she thought that I wouldn't cause her any problems when the checks came back. (she thought I would just take all the blame and go to jail for her and not say anything about her involvement) I WAS arrested, and had to go through the system, but the store manager dropped all the charges against me, because he knows me and my family, and he knows that I wouldn't do anything like that. I have been cashing checks for people in my building for over 10 years with no problems at all. Until now.
I saw this woman when I was released from jail, and I told her that all the man wanted is to be paid back the money. He didn't even care who she was, she could have paid him through me. He just wanted his money. He was even willing to make a payment agreement with her. $100.00 every two weeks. I think that is extremely fair. He even told me to tell her to deduct the amount that he took out as a check cashing fee. She looked at me with an attitude and said to me " I don't know what to tell you, I can't help you. I'm not paying them a f'ing dime" I explained to her that I could go back to jail if he didn't get his money, she said "that isn't my problem" I told her that I would NOT go back to jail for five years for this, then I walked away. That is when all the trouble started. She has been telling everybody in the building that I am a snitch, and that if I tell them anything about her that me and my children are dead. In this area it is a sin to "snitch" on somebody. Now, she is trying to turn everything around on me. I live in a rough part of Manhattan, and most of the people that live in this building are
street people. This girl is threating my children.She said she will have her daughters friends beat the s'it out of my girls, and that she will have me beaten almost to death. I don't know what to do. What can I do to protect myself and my family??? I know I have to go to the precinct and file a harrassment complaint, then go to court and get an
order of protection. I am doing that first thing in the morning, but around here, that doesn't really help.By the time the police arrive, it is already too late. I have also been looking for apts. to move out of here. Please give me any advice you can. I am really at the end of my rope with this. I am still giving the police her name and address. Her threats aren't going to stop me from doing that. If I don't give them her info., I will go to jail for something that I didn't do. I have five beautiful girls, they don't deserve to go through this. They are innocent. PLEASE HElP

Y

yoyoma

THEN WHERE THE HELLLL IS THE FATHERS OF YOUR KIDS, AND HIS PARENTS TO HELP YOU OUT..

WITH SOME MONEEEEEEEYYYYYY!

K

KR917

this is a repy to yoyoma

Listen, I have read your responses to myself and others on this site and let me tell you something, First of all, I have only ONE father to my children, MY HUSBAND, whom I have been happily married to for 14 years. Both of us work, (very hard, I might add) we pay rent, $1,300.00 per month, food,etc.I really can't afford to pay $4,000.00 back that I didn't take. It really isn't any of your business anyway. All you seem to do is to put people down in your posts. Occansionally, decent, hard working people get caught up in someone elses bulls"""t I am NOT stupid, I have a college education. I have a good life, I don't do anything criminal, I work hard, and mind my business. Occasionally, I do favors for people, that's the kind of person that I am . I try to help people when I can. Don't misunderstand, I am not a doormat. I just try to help if I can. I understand going through hard times. This time, I was taken advantage of, and played for a fool. It will NOT happen again. I posted that message in the hopes that someone out there would have a educated response to my situation, not some crticism from a frustrated, angry at the world moron like yourself. If you see my name on future posts, kindly keep your mindless opinions to yourself. I don't need advice, or comments from people like you. I'm sure we could all do without your thoughts. You never have anything positive to say to anyone. Isn't that what this is supposed to be about???????
KR

L

lckwod

About time

It is about time someone told yoyoma to stick it were the sun doesn't shine!
I Agree with you 110% KR917. I to try to help people if I can and have also been walked on because I'm to nice. It is a shame that people take advantage of others who only want to be nice and help. I could never live with my self knowing I ruined or hurt someone. I guess there are alot of people out there who just don't care.
I wish i had some legally advice but I don't. I do wish you the best and will pray everything works out for you and your family.

Y

yoyoma

I live in a rough partof Manhattan, and most of the people that live in this building are street people.
---------------------------

$1300 a month and you live with street people ...YUP they KNOW you are DUMB!!!!

Geez lady I pay $1000 for a 2 bdrm in Queens with a view of Manhattan, and I park my car on the street, and i forgot to lock the doors and NOTHING is missing....

YUP you have more money then brains!

K

KR917

reply to yoyoma

First of all, when I moved into this building, it WAS a nice place to live. the landlord sold the building to somebody, and he started letting crackheads and dope fiends in the building to recieve the incentive money from sec 8. He gets a $1,000.00 bonus for every sec. 8 family he lets move in here from a shelter.
I HAVE been looking for another apt. for a long time now. It is either too much money, too small, or just like here. I WILL not go from bad to worse. Not that it is any of your business, but I am not rich, both me and my husband work very hard for what we have, and I don't need any smart remarks from ignorant people like you. I asked you nicely not to reply to any of my posts. Is it that important to you to put people down?? Does it make you feel like a man? Maybe that is the only way you can feel like a real man.You don't know anything about me, I am not stupid!But, I must be to waste my time and energy explaining anything to a loser like yourself that has nothing better to do than try to make people feel like dirt with you pathetic posts. Stay away from me.

K

knorris

Pay NO Attention

Please don't let yoyohead get you worked up, that;s what he seems to thrive on. I, like you have never read one positive post from him. he does not take the fact that people come to this site with true problems looking for honest advice. he see's the site as more his own personal play ground to attack people. maybe one of these days he'll be banned from here :D

K

KR917

to knorris72142

It isn't so much that he gets me worked up. Yes, it does bother me, that he is allowed time after time to say whatever he wants about people, the thing that really gets to me is that he hasn't been banned from this site. If more people would complain about his abuse, he WOULD be banned. I already filed a complaint about him, and that is exactly my advice to everyone that he has berated, put down, and just all around annoyed. I agree with you, people come here for advice, not for ignorant comments from yoyoma. I should not be feeding the fire. Maybe if everyone ignores him, he'll go away. (HOPEFULLY) But very doubtful, I think this is the only way he can get his kicks.
thanks for the input.
KR

T

tamwham2

if you can't beat them join them

i am courious to know who provided you with all this "inside" information on what this woman has been saying.
also, just wondering...were you arrested for these bad checks only or was there anything else?

anyway,
your best option is to take the bulls by the horn and
MANAGE HER

i would
take her a beer, go tell her i am sorry about everything, voleenteer to babysit her kids, etc..... I'd explain to her that I will " somehow manage " because i don't what to put her in a bad position and i don't want her mad at me.
I would be very understanding of her and her circumstances :)

then
i would go and talk with the store owner and explain to him that i would be the one responsible for paying him. i WOULDN'T say anything negitive about HER. i might tell the store owner I understand her curcumstances (anything you say NEGITIVE or POSITIVE will get back to her). Hopefully I could get him to make it a really low payment. also, i would ask him if me or my kids could work at the store for credit.

i would try to smooth things over with her while i QUIETLY looked for a new place. maybe your situtation could become a little easlier to MANAGE.

and who knows if you MANAGE HER correctly, she wil help you with a little money (probably very little), it is a small price to pay for the very valuable lesson that I AM SURE YOU HAVE LEARNED.

good luck

K

knorris

have you noticed

KR917 said:
It isn't so much that he gets me worked up. Yes, it does bother me, that he is allowed time after time to say whatever he wants about people, the thing that really gets to me is that he hasn't been banned from this site. If more people would complain about his abuse, he WOULD be banned. I already filed a complaint about him, and that is exactly my advice to everyone that he has berated, put down, and just all around annoyed. I agree with you, people come here for advice, not for ignorant comments from yoyoma. I should not be feeding the fire. Maybe if everyone ignores him, he'll go away. (HOPEFULLY) But very doubtful, I think this is the only way he can get his kicks.
thanks for the input.
KR
have you noticed that almost all of his post say the same thing
'' were the daddy to your kids'' must be what he's been wondering his whole sad little life:D poor yoyohead don't know who his daddy is... sorry i couldn't resist now back to being an adult I'll just go file me a complaint too. hey here's a thought lets play the invisable game and yoyo's IT.... ha ha , good luck to you and your's

Y

yoyoma

HAHA i have ONE father and he is still alive, and my mother is too...

SO BAHHHHHHHHHH!

But it is a VERY curious fact that almost NO ONE ever posts about what daddy says......Like what does your husband say about what you did?

AND WHY THE HELLLL DIDNT HE STOP YOU??????

Therefore..... you Always have to ask where is the fathers?

K

knorris

yoyoma

yoyoma said:
HAHA i have ONE father and he is still alive, and my mother is too...

SO BAHHHHHHHHHH!

But it is a VERY curious fact that almost NO ONE ever posts about what daddy says......Like what does your husband say about what you did?

AND WHY THE HELLLL DIDNT HE STOP YOU??????

Therefore..... you Always have to ask where is the fathers?
But why do you have to try and belittle people and make remarks like ''should of give them kids up for adoption'' if your so interested in knowing couldn't you ask nicer instead of trying to insult someone. and before you ask, yes i do know where my father is, he live's with my mother in the same house i grew up in. :)

Beth3

KR917 - this isn't a forum I usually post in but I can't help but notice your urgent situation has gotten lost in a debate with and about that idiot Yoyo.

My best advice to you is to file the harassment complaint with the police, get a restraining order, keep looking for a new place to live, and stay the heck out of this woman's way. I'm sorry but I completely disagree with tamtam, although I'm sure her advice was well intended.

This neighbor has proven to be a criminal and evil-minded individual with absolutely no ethics or morals. Those types of people you need to stay away from at all costs. No good will come of it for you or your family. Besides, if you do end up in some kind of criminal action, a history of socializing with this woman is not going to look good in your defense. It will look like you colluded with her, not like you were conned by her.

If the store owner understands you were duped into cashing the checks, ask him to drop the charges against you and let him pursue the person who wrote the checks with the clear intent to defraud him.

And I do agree with you that it's a good thing to help friends and neighbors out when you can but you also have to be smart about it. Presumably this nasty neighbor is able-bodied and if she needed some checks cashed, could have walked herself to the store or a bank, or have one of her children or a relative do it. It's a wonderful thing to be helpful but you also have to make wise choices of your own.

K

KR917

reply to Beth3

Beth3,
Thank-you for your reply. This next sentence is not directed towards you,
First of all, I DID NOT, I REPEAT, I DID NOT know these checks were counterfeit!!!!! I was cashing the checks for her because she said she didn't have a bank account. I use to do this for people in my building all the time, and never had any problems like this. Sometimes people don't have the proper id to cash a check, or they don't have a bank account, whatever the reason. I do it to help them. I don't get anything out of it.
The store owner has known me and my family for 10 years, I have been shopping there daily for that length of time also. I have also been cashing my checks there as well as checks for other people. He knows that I would never do anything like that. That would have to be the stupidest move in the history of stupid moves. He has my address, my phone number everything. He has even been at my house for dinner with his FAMILY!! We are friends!!!
That was very good advice about working off the amount in the store. I would have to do it on weekends,but it would be better than trying to take it out of my already tight budget. I also did tell him that I would pay all the money back to him, and we did work out a payment agreement that isn't that harsh on my budget. Although any extra expense is always difficult with five girls to support.
I actually found out everything because the super to the building lives on the first floor and his window is right above the sidewalk where this woman and her "friends" hang out. He overheard her talking to somebody about me, and he told me immediately. My husband also found out some info. from some people in the building that thought what she did was wrong, and that I should be told what she was planning, and saying.
I have to go back to court this week to have the case dismissed. The manager already dropped all charges against me. He is even going with me to court just to make sure there are no mistakes this time.
I would just like to say thank-you to everyone that has tried to help me in this situation.
KR

This part is for the ever ignorant yoyoma;
My husband knows everything I do, and he had no reason to STOP ME, BECAUSE WE DIDN'T THINK WE WERE DOING ANYTHING WRONG. Does that answer your question????

Beth3

Yes, I do believe you didn't remotely know those checks were counterfeit. It hardly seems fair that you are having to work to pay back the store owner, although I admire your ethics. Surely the woman who counterfeited the checks can be held responsible for what she did?

Next time, be a little more careful who you do favors for, especially when it involves money or items of value. As you found out, an unscrupulous person can take advantage of your good nature. There's a reason she asked you to cash the checks rather than doing it herself or having a relative or an actual friend do it (assuming she has any.) Sometimes, you just have to smile and say "Sorry, I can't help you."

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">