• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

boyfriend gave 7 days notice to girlfriend with 3 children under 13

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shopwshan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA
My sister and her bf just broke up. They are living in his house with three of her kids. He gave her 7 days notice to leave. I told her not to leave the house until she finds something but her boyfriend threatened to make her life miserable if she didn't. They also work at the same place. I am not sure what / if any rights she has especially since she has three young kids. She gives all of her money to her boyfriend so she cannot afford to rent alone in there current area. She has given the bf thousands of dollars to renovate his house. My questions would be directed as to what rights she has as a tenant without a signed lease as well as what rights if any does she have towards any money she gave him as improvements to the home. Sadly she is so intimidated by him that I am not sure if she would seek any damages against him even if she had rights. Thanks.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA
My sister and her bf just broke up. They are living in his house with three of her kids. He gave her 7 days notice to leave. I told her not to leave the house until she finds something but her boyfriend threatened to make her life miserable if she didn't. They also work at the same place. I am not sure what / if any rights she has especially since she has three young kids. She gives all of her money to her boyfriend so she cannot afford to rent alone in there current area. She has given the bf thousands of dollars to renovate his house. My questions would be directed as to what rights she has as a tenant without a signed lease as well as what rights if any does she have towards any money she gave him as improvements to the home. Sadly she is so intimidated by him that I am not sure if she would seek any damages against him even if she had rights. Thanks.
She shouldn't give boyfriend any more money and should look for a new place to live. She should move ASAP. Her three kids don't give her any special rights. You can help her move if you so desire. Damages? For what? She is month to month without a signed lease and she deserves proper notice that a month to month tenant would get.

shopwshan

i figured it was a long shot but i figured i'd ask about all the money she put into the home they just moved in december for improvements. they had the entire house gutted but the house is in the boyfriend's name so i guess all the money poured into the home for these improvements is lost. Does not seem just. Thanks

shopwshan

my main issue is that he gave 7 days...and told her he would make her life miserable if she stayed...legally she can stay for 30? but what would he do if she stayed longer than 7...trying to help her as much as i can. to find a place with three kids in 7 days is pretty difficult, especially when they are all in school

Gail in Georgia

Typically 30 day written notice is required to terminate what your sister has (i.e., a month to month tenancy with this person).

However, keep in mind that these sort of breakups can sometimes get quite violent. If you can help her get out earlier, this would be better.

Unless she has something is writing regarding repayment of this money she gave the boyfriend for fixing the house, she has no real legal recourse in terms of getting any of this back. She could always consider a lawsuit in Small Claims regarding this matter down the road but she needs evidence that there was some type of "contract" between the two of them regarding use of these funds.

Gail

shopwshan

Thank you Gail. I already lost one sister to domestic violence 15 years ago and I am not about to lose another one. Trying to get her out asap.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">