• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

BPD won't return property.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

urkuh

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Baltimore, Maryland.
My sister was wrongfully arrested, & thus, her case was nolle prosque, & she got her expungement soon after. However, when she was arrested, they submitted her quite expensive laptop, (yea, I figure thats useless to add, but she wanted me to put it:/)which she needs for her work, for graphics, into evidence control. It's been 3 months since, & she has all the paperwork for such..

However, she can never get a hold of the officer that submitted it into evidence control, & apparently, to get it out, she needs to have him sign a paper to get it. Both our mother & herself, have called numerous times, leaving messeges that go unanswered, being put on hold for 30-45 minuetes, & even then, none of officers answer. ONE TIME the officer called her mother back(2 weeks ago), said he'd call back the next morning to talk in full, & then never called. Didn't answer our mother's pages, or messeges...This includes their supervising sgt, who as well, doesn't return messeges or answer pages. What's the point of even having phones? She's sent emails to the evidence control section & the patrol district.

When the case was first dismissed, she called her arresting officer, only reason she got ahold of him though, was because he answered the call... he told her she could ONLY come down, on Monday or Tuesdays between 7-4. Which is almost impossible for her... we live in southern pa, about an hour away, which isn't too far, but it's still not an easy trip to make, since she doesn't have a car.

So, what can she do? Just keep calling, leaving messges? Call captains, or even the damn Major of the district? She'd prefer not to involve her lawyer, because she doesn't wanna add to our parent's stress, more then the actual event did... but she fears, it might be a thing she needs to do. She needs in within 2 weeks, & after 3 1/2 months, she's just feeling fedup. It's ridiculous.... Technically, they shouldn't even be in possession of it, with the nolleprosque & expungement papers.

she also fears that something has happened, like it was dropped. (She's mega paranoid) IF that's the case, what should she do? She can't sue them because of the expungement, or does that only pretain to the wrongful arrest (the sueing part)???

Thanks so much! Im really tired of her getting worked up about, & it doesn't help that our father, keeps saying she'll never get it back, which isn't the case, for this situation.
Please, productive answers would be great.

Last edited:

CdwJava

Has anyone contacted the property and evidence division to ask what the procedure might be?

She may have to simply keep complaining her way up the food chain until she can get an answer. Being present in person can be a lot more effective than a phone call.

There might also be the possibility that it will still be held as evidence. All because the case was not pursued does not mean the arrest was unlawful, that prosecution might not one day occur, or that there is not a reason to keep holding onto the laptop. However, not knowing the details it is hard to say if the might be any real reason to continue holding it.

She just needs to keep working her way up until someone gives her an answer. Showing up in the lobby some morning might be a good way to get the attention of someone.

OHRoadwarrior

From people I know that have had a similar experience, you never get them back. Many times, I understand they have been disassembled and the hard drives sent to a crime lab for forensic exam.

urkuh

Thanks. She's gone down, twice, but was ignored still. & i hope they don't do that, haha. They'll have one mad girl on there hands. The lawyer said shell get it back, basically, they arrested her, because they thought she had drugs.... she didn't. Lol. So they dismissed the case. They can't try again, because of jeopardy. The lawyer said they wouldn't seize it, or anything. guess shell just let her lawyer handle it. If the do try& keep it or disemble it, i guess shell have a legal battle on her hands. Thanks guys. Guess will try the major of the district, and if possible, the mayor? Gah, i just want it to be over with. Tired of her bitching. She saved 2000 up, which is hard for her, so shell be getting it back, one on her the other. They didn't seize it. Only reason they put it in evidence is because when they impounded her car, they didn't wanna leave it in there, so it could be stolen, so i really don't theyl tear it apart.. it really wasn't evidence...

& the evidence section, said the officer needs to sign off on it... ahh. Lucky us. Lol thanks!

I guess i shoulda titled, BPD wont answer their damn messges or pages to return property! Gah. Can she due anything legally? Or does the expungement block that? Can our mom?

Last edited:

urkuh

HEY GUYS, GUESS WHAT? FINALLY SOME TERRIFIC NEWS:)

Finally, after my mother called the sgt. again 3 days ago, & the Lt. 2 days ago.
Well, my sister just got a call, & the sgt. said the officer signed it out. Now, they didn't have her passengers expired id(im sure the impound lot, took that) & apparently they didn't sign off the $140 yet...because apparently, after awhile it goes into the citys account.
but the sgt. gave my mom the legal team for city/police's number, so she'll be getting that back too.

So thanks everybody! She's geeking out now, screaming & jumping around. She's super happy! Lol

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">