• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

broke lease and going to court , help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dduglass

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?tn
I was renting a house, had 3 months left and gave the LL 30 day notice and also gave her phone numbers of two different couples that wanted to rent her house, she wouldnt let them till my lease was up she told me, now she is taking me to court since I left, any suggestions? what would my defense be since she wouldn't let the people take over my lease...can i ask for a continuance to get them to witness for me? will it go to small claims court ($1,800), if the judge favors LL, can I appeal while in small claims or what, thanks...

HomeGuru

dduglass said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?tn
I was renting a house, had 3 months left and gave the LL 30 day notice and also gave her phone numbers of two different couples that wanted to rent her house, she wouldnt let them till my lease was up she told me, now she is taking me to court since I left, any suggestions? what would my defense be since she wouldn't let the people take over my lease...can i ask for a continuance to get them to witness for me? will it go to small claims court ($1,800), if the judge favors LL, can I appeal while in small claims or what, thanks...

**A: you may have a claim and again you may not.

dduglass

HomeGuru said:
**A: you may have a claim and again you may not.
thanks, but will a small claims judge know the LL rules about mitigating damages, and if he favors LL when do i ask for an appeal, do I take LL back to court or do it while telling the judge my story? I dont want to make the judge mad with me not know the procedure....

HomeGuru

dduglass said:
thanks, but will a small claims judge know the LL rules about mitigating damages, and if he favors LL when do i ask for an appeal, do I take LL back to court or do it while telling the judge my story? I dont want to make the judge mad with me not know the procedure....

**A: we don;t even know if you have a case or not. L needed to mitigate damages by renting the place out again. But who's to say that the 2 different couples you suggested as replacement tenants actually applied and qualified.

dduglass

HomeGuru said:
**A: we don;t even know if you have a case or not. L needed to mitigate damages by renting the place out again. But who's to say that the 2 different couples you suggested as replacement tenants actually applied and qualified.
My point exactly, the LL would not call the couple, she does not want to rent anymore, but wants me to fulfill my lease. So LL is taking me to court for breaking lease and LL is not re-renting her house.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">