• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Broken engagement: Is this fair?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

todd3039

Long story short.

My finance left me three weeks after I proposed to her. Months prior to me proposing, we had repeatedly asked each other if this is what we both wanted. Each time we both said yes. Throughout this time, she was telling me that I had to purchase the ring through her brother-in-law who manages a local jewelry store in OKC. He would apparently get us a better stone for less money through his connections. So I bought a $5000 ring from him.

Three weeks later she changes her mind and I'm stuck with this ring. The catch.... I can't take it anywhere for a refund! If I sell it I will take a big loss. If I keep it I get pissed when I see it. Is there anything I can do legally that will have her cover part of the loss?

(I live in Texas - She lives in OKLA)

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

todd3039 said:
Long story short.

My finance left me three weeks after I proposed to her. Months prior to me proposing, we had repeatedly asked each other if this is what we both wanted. Each time we both said yes. Throughout this time, she was telling me that I had to purchase the ring through her brother-in-law who manages a local jewelry store in OKC. He would apparently get us a better stone for less money through his connections. So I bought a $5000 ring from him.

Three weeks later she changes her mind and I'm stuck with this ring. The catch.... I can't take it anywhere for a refund! If I sell it I will take a big loss. If I keep it I get pissed when I see it. Is there anything I can do legally that will have her cover part of the loss?

(I live in Texas - She lives in OKLA)

My response:

You think diamonds depreciate ? If the stone is even somewhat decent quality, keeping that ring for a year is better than having the $5,000.00 in the bank.

Think of it as an investment and stop being emotional about it. She doesn't owe you anything because you've got the ring.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">