• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bui nc

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lenny53d

I got arrested for boating while intoxicated in NC last weekend. Has anyone been to court for the same offense in NC? What were the penalties? Did you get a lawyer? Thanks for any help in advance!

Just Blue

I got arrested for boating while intoxicated in NC last weekend. Has anyone been to court for the same offense in NC? What were the penalties? Did you get a lawyer? Thanks for any help in advance!
What was the EXACT offence? :confused:

TigerD

It says "Operate a vessel while underway on the waters of this state while under the influence of an impairing substance to wit alcohol." I was arrested by NC wild life.
You need an attorney.

I have been trying to picture what being arrested by NC wild life looks like. A deer in a bullet proof vest with a badge and badger standing overwatch?

TD

FlyingRon

NC Wildlife ENFORCEMENT Officers. Wildlife handles boat registration/titles as well as hunting/fishing licenses. They have an extensive enforcement department.

BUI is a class 2 misdemeanor which means it's fairly serious. There are some differences between boating and driving, notably that there is no implied consent. You should find an attorney with experience with BUI charges. In addition, and I don't know if it applies in your case (which is why YOU need an attorney who can see all the facts), is there's no "not a drop" provision in the boat regs. If you're under 21 the standards for being "under the influence" are the same as those 21 and over.

BUI doesn't affect your (land) driver's license. PJC is generally not available for DUI, don't know about BUI.

lenny53d

I talked to a Lawyer yesterday, he said I was looking at around a 250 fine and 150 court fees. He wants 750 for his services, I'm thinking since a class 2 misdemeanor is punishable up to 1000 fine, it may not be worth having a lawyer. He did say it does not effect my drivers license or insurance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">