• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Builder never informed us of a HUGE retaining wall in the backyard

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

There is a significant height between tiers, especially the one at the top, so I don't think you can plant anything that will grow tall enough without needing a significant foundation to anchor itself which would likely damage the wall structural integrity. Maybe bamboo would be the only option. You could plant shrubbery though if you wanted some color added to the wall.
Thanks for answering my question. The video helps.

The floor plan you chose is a nice one. The retaining wall does not appear to intrude too far into the lot - certainly not what I imagined - and it also appears that the lower tier could support plantings. Attractive.

Again, you can consult with an attorney and get a personal review of the contract but I think you bought yourself a house. Selling the house later is always an option but you might find you like living there.

Good luck.

Last edited:

zddoodah

Only dirt was there, no foundation so it was not possible to see house placement.
I think this kind of sums things up for me. You CHOSE to enter into a transaction whereby you purchased a not-yet-built home based on drawings that were ambiguous as to various things (and without obtaining clarification) and CHOSE to do this despite impediments that led to you not wanting to visit the site in person.

Maybe you disagree with this characterization, but your agreement or disagreement is neither here nor there. If you want to back out of this transaction, you'll need to consult with an attorney in Vegas for a review of your contract and a discussion of what was and wasn't said about the layout of the lot and the home. Depending on the timing of your sale and escrow, you may need to do this ASAP.

quincy

Another problem with trying to argue the size and type of the retaining wall is the existence of the same type of wall on the neighboring property.

bracknelson

We are buying a home in Las Vegas, NV from a popular builder. After reviewing all of the lots available we selected a lot specifically based on its orientation, square footage, and it had the floor plan we wanted. We live in AZ so all of this had to be done with our agent and virtual. We have already signed the paperwork and transferred the earnest money.
You gave me a lesson that virtual evaluation of a property may not be quite satisfying unless you get to know each and every fact about your property existence.

quincy

You gave me a lesson that virtual evaluation of a property may not be quite satisfying unless you get to know each and every fact about your property existence.
It is always better to personally view property prior to purchase. Had ngerasimatos personally rather than virtually visited the property, he would have seen the retaining wall on the neighboring property.

Just Blue

It is always better to personally view property prior to purchase. Had ngerasimatos personally rather than virtually visited the property, he would have seen the retaining wall on the neighboring property.
bracknelcon spammed another thread...he will be gone soon.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">