• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Builder non compliance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Anton1234

What is the name of your state? FL

Hello, I have contracted a builder, to build a new home over 8 months ago. The contract expires in the next four months, but the only thing the builder got to, was clearing the lot. I know the builder and can safely predict that there is no way, he will be done. This is all done through a new construction mortgage so I will be recieving fines at the end of the year. I would like to find out what legal action I can take after the contract expires? I have read that unfullfilled contracts can be given to another Builder and then any additional costs can be back charged against the original builder.
If I am able to do that, what action can the original builder take to either stop me or not pay later? Also I forgot the name of the law, something about even though contract not fullfilled the original contractor can still have legal time to finish or fix a problem. But if by the time the contract expires there will be only 30-50% of the required work done, do you believe the builder will have any leg to stand on. Also I do live in Sarasota county 50 miles from where Charlie hit, and even though some things slowed down, houses all around me have been started months later and are now almost complete.
Thank you.

BelizeBreeze

Your issues and those of the builder non-performance depend solely on the exact wording of the contract and since we can't read it here, I would suggest you take a copy to a real estate attorney for review.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">