• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

burglary in apt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aclark17

Hello I live in CA and my apartment was recently broken into and there was moderate damages to the inside and point of entry can I be held liable for the damages.

CdwJava

Hello I live in CA and my apartment was recently broken into and there was moderate damages to the inside and point of entry can I be held liable for the damages.
CAN you? Sure. WILL you? Who knows?

If you have renters insurance, that may cover the damages. Otherwise, you might want to speak with your landlord and discuss who is liable for any repairs.

I believe there is some case authority which states that a landlord may be held liable, under a negligence theory, for the burglary of an apartment. Unfortunately, I cannot recall the exact circumstances that must be present before the landlord can be held liable. What is important for you to know is that there are situations where you might be held liable for the damage, and there are situations where your landlord might be held liable. The only way to find out for sure who is liable here is to consult an attorney. You can also try speaking with your landlord and see if you can come to an agreement on the repairs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">