• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

burglary - who's responsible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL
Hi, I rent the bottom floor of a house. The tenants on the second floor moved out and the new tenants have not moved in yet. A workman hired by the landlord was painting upstairs and left a window open. The window is easily opened by climbing up the outside stairs.

While I was at work someone entered through the second floor, came down the internal stairs and broke open the lock on my door. Loss of thousands to me. All the landlord said was, "you do have rental insurance, don't you?" Well I don't. Is he responsible for not keeping the house secure?

Police report was made. I'm still scared.

Who's Liable?

Hi, I rent the bottom floor of a house. The tenants on the second floor moved out and the new tenants have not moved in yet. A workman hired by the landlord was painting upstairs and left a window open. The window is easily opened by climbing up the outside stairs.

While I was at work someone entered through the second floor, came down the internal stairs and broke open the lock on my door. Loss of thousands to me. All the landlord said was, "you do have rental insurance, don't you?" Well I don't. Is he responsible for not keeping the house secure?

Closing an open window is not the LL responsibility, nor is it his fault. Unless you can prove in court that the LL colluded with the burglars, you have no case.

Additionally, your items would have been covered under renters insurance.

applecruncher

Sorry this happened, OP. But it always amazes me when I hear/read that people don't carry renter's insurance. It costs about $10 a month.

Searchertwin

I wouldn't be scared, I'd be mad for not having renters insurance.
Now knowing you needed renters insurance, I bet that thousands went down to under a couple of hundred. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">