• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Business lease (New York)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I can pay on contingency. Basically, I am suing the landlord for personal injury. You could put a lien on the case.

Can a landlord change locks of a business lease when the lease expires without notice?

You Are Guilty

I can pay on contingency. Basically, I am suing the landlord for personal injury. You could put a lien on the case.

Can a landlord change locks of a business lease when the lease expires without notice?
Based solely on that extremely lengthy, (overly?) detailed description of all the pertinent facts of your case, my answer is "yes".

Click "find a lawyer" in the box on the right side of your screen for some names.

You Are Guilty

What about something called a holdover? Doesnt New York State require a 30 day written notice?
I think you're mixing up the idea of residential vs. commercial leases. The protections automatically provided to residential leases don't necessarily exist in the commercial arena. They might, but the LL is free to override them in the lease. Therefore, since only a moron LL would give a lease with more tenant protection than the law requires, almost every commercial lease permits "self-help" like lock changing.

The only way to know for sure is to read your lease.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">