• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

business not willing to pay for snow removal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hawk01

That's right, they see it as my fault that the sprinklers froze even though I never included on the estimate that I would do anything with the sprinkler system and they looked at the estimate and okayed it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
That's right, they see it as my fault that the sprinklers froze even though I never included on the estimate that I would do anything with the sprinkler system and they looked at the estimate and okayed it.
But, the problem that you may have to overcome is that you have no written proof of WHAT your estimate and subsequent negotiations included.

You Are Guilty

Well, supposedly the written (unsigned) estimate does not include sprinkler service. That, coupled with the business' admission that they "overlooked" that part of the estimate, is pretty good proof.

Let's just hope they tell the truth in court (which is why we all always recommend written proof).

hawk01

I only have a duplicate copy of the estimate that they also have but there are no signatures on my copy.

HomeGuru

And next time get signed contracts before engaging in any work. And you need to have a contract drafted by a legal pro that spells out how you will be paid, when, what happens if you don't get paid etc.

hawk01

until now, that is something I've never had to do. With my 70 or so residents that I do, a verbal agreement and a handshake were as good as gold but commercial accounts aren't that way anymore I guess.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">