• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Business Tax Number

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TRD

What is the name of your state? California (city of San Diego)

I am a bit confused if I need a business tax number. I with to be a sole proprietor of an online retail business (Ebay store specifically). I plan to run it on my own with no employees. I tried to do some research online, but I find 2 conflicting answers:
"No, just use your social security number."
"Yes, use it along with your social security number."​

Thank you in advance for any and all help!

chyann

I am in KY so you may ignore this but, it would not be hard or expensive to get a tax id number and it would be good to have in your files in case you need it later.

Just go to www.irs.gov, download the form and send it - plus any fee required - in yourself, no lawyer needed. I formed a single-person LLC that way -just to see if I could.

TRD

Thank you for the reply, Chyann! I shall follow your advice. Better to have it than not, right?

I am sorry that I did not thank you sooner. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">