• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Busted from the gas station??? Is this even legal???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cdw

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

I was taking my son to his friend's house several towns over from us and stopped in at a gas station to fill the tank. While we were being served a local police officer pulled into the edge of the parking lot along the side street of the station and sat facing the traffic light on the corner(which the station sits at). My vehicle was pointed on a diagonal towards the officer's vehicle and my son and I were just talking while waiting for our tank to fill. Nothing going on to draw his attention at all. After we were done I pulled ahead and out onto the side street so now my rear faced him as I waited for the light to change. Another car or 2 pulled up behind me. When the light changed I followed the rather battered ratty taxi in front of me across the intersection and down the road. As we crossed the light I saw the policeman pull out of his spot and stay with the group of cars. I continued approx 2miles before the road opens to 2lanes in each direction at which point I stayed in the left lane as I was about to turn left into a development. The taxi stayed left as well, the car directly behind me got into the right lane as did the officer until he saw me put on my turn signal,at which point he was almost alongside me but dropped back suddenly, and followed me into the developement and put on his lights to pull me over. I had no idea what the problem was. I was not speeding,swerving or using a phone. I used my turn signals etc and I have a pristine driving record(only 1 small speeding ticket in 25yrs). He asked for my paperwork I was only able to give him my insurance and registration as I had walked out of the house without my purse--which I usually keep in the car. He proceeds to tell me without going back to his car that my license has expired and was I aware of that? I told him no I was not but then I never look at my license but I had thought it was good thru 6/2012. He said no it had expired 6/30/2011. I responded with that I would certainly take care of that ASAP and thanked him for bringing it to my attention. I thought I would just get a warning but no he issued me a ticket and I have to appear in court!!! WTF!!! How can he gather info on me as I am sitting in a public place(he ran my license plates) and then pull me over for no moving violation or any violation he is witness to and issue me a summons??!! Is this legal?? I did get my license renewed since with no problem.

Mass_Shyster

Courts have found that you have no reasonable expectation of privacy in your license plate number while in public. This means the police did not conduct a search. They are permitted to run whatever plates they see. In fact, there are now camera based computer systems that can automatically run every license plate in view of the camera.

The police only need reasonable suspicion of a violation to conduct a traffic stop. Since the registered owner of the car had an expired license, it is reasonable for the police to believe the vehicle was being operated by someone with an expired license.

OHRoadwarrior

In OH, state troopers sit in the middle of the road plugging plates all the time. They get an ACES hash mark for each stolen car recovered.

ecmst12

How long would you have gone around with an expired license if you hadn't gotten pulled over? It's been expired for almost a year. Don't they send you renewal papers in the mail when it's getting close to that time?

You are also very lucky he let you drive home with an expired license instead of towing your car.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">