• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Buying Home With Gifted Down Payment From Father - In Case of Divorce?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

olimits7a

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

Hi,

So I've been down this road before in my first marriage. After we were already married, we purchased a home and my father gifted us money for the down payment. Fast forward 4 years, we ended up getting divorced and my ex-wife got 50% of the proceeds from selling the house. She contributed in paying 50/50 for the monthly house expenses (inc. mortgage) with me for those 4 years but she also made out with 50% of my father's gifted down payment money.

I'm about to propose to my new girlfriend and my father said he would be generous enough to gift us money for the down payment again when my future wife and I decide to purchase a home. I'm not looking to repeat history and I want to protect my father's money and also be fair to my new wife if she'll be contributing 50/50 to the monthly house expenses (inc. mortgage).

Is there a way I can purchase a home and have it setup so if we end up getting divorced that my father could recoup the down payment he provided to me to help purchase the home? And then if there are any profits after this I would split 50/50 with my wife?

Thank you!

FlyingRon

You and your father need to understand what a marriage is.

Legally, there's no obligation for a spouse to contribute cash into the mortgage or other expenses,. The expenses and assets like the house are part of the marital estate. While NJ doesn't mandate a split down the middle (it is an equitable distribution state), it's quite likely that the gift to you comingled with everything else isn't going to mandate other than a even split.

If your father wants "protection" he should secure his interest in the property either by an ownership interest or setting this up as something other than an outright gift to you. Does your father dislike your spouses so much that he doesn't intend to make them part of the gift? Your father, if he is so concerned, should contact an attorney.

LdiJ

Hi,

So I've been down this road before in my first marriage. After we were already married, we purchased a home and my father gifted us money for the down payment. Fast forward 4 years, we ended up getting divorced and my ex-wife got 50% of the proceeds from selling the house. She contributed in paying 50/50 for the monthly house expenses (inc. mortgage) with me for those 4 years but she also made out with 50% of my father's gifted down payment money.

I'm about to propose to my new girlfriend and my father said he would be generous enough to gift us money for the down payment again when my future wife and I decide to purchase a home. I'm not looking to repeat history and I want to protect my father's money and also be fair to my new wife if she'll be contributing 50/50 to the monthly house expenses (inc. mortgage).

Is there a way I can purchase a home and have it setup so if we end up getting divorced that my father could recoup the down payment he provided to me to help purchase the home? And then if there are any profits after this I would split 50/50 with my wife?

Thank you!
You could include something like that in a prenup. You would both need to have your own lawyers for that.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Hi,

Thank you!
You might not want to get married. You don't sound like you comprehend the whole thing.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Hi,

Your father gave both of you a gift. It was no longer his money and properly belonged to both of you evenly.

Again, if he gives you a GIFT, then it's no longer "his" money.

Thank you!
If your father expects to get the money back at some point, then it's not a gift, rather, it's a loan. That's something that you need to understand and something that the mortgage lender will need to know (as stated above by quincy).

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I want to know if his wife gets laid off or can't pay HALF of any mortgage payment, is he going to evict her? Run a tab that she has to bring current? Divorce her? Or heaven forbid, if he loses his job and he can't pay his half, should he be evicted? Pay interest to his spouse? Be divorced?

quincy

I agree, but why would addressing it in a prenup change the nature of the gift?
It might not but it certainly could make it appear the down payment was a loan and not a gift, if the father is to be repaid out of the house profits ordinarily split between the divorcing spouses.

LdiJ

It might not but it certainly could make it appear the down payment was a loan and not a gift, if the father is to be repaid.
Yes, but rather than putting in that the father be repaid, it should probably state that any money gifted by dad for a house, remains the separate property of the OP.

quincy

Yes, but rather than putting in that the father be repaid, it should probably state that any money gifted by dad for a house, remains the separate property of the OP.
That could work. If the fiancée signs the prenup.

quincy

buildwithtci, commercial messages and commercial links are prohibited on this forum. Please re-read the terms and conditions of use for this forum. Thanks.

Your post was reported for moderator review.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">