• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

California-Megan's Law Violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

h0peless151

From what everyone has told me, he was only doing it to protect his family. I guess he didn't want anyone else to find out and label the family badly.

So I got the subpoena today, and with it, a yellow unsigned carbon copy of it. I haven't opened the letter yet. My mom told me she found it on her doorstep. The envelope's postmark is May 15th, which means she had it for a month before giving it to me. She told me that she didn't want to give it to me because she was talking to her attorney to get me out of it. This puts me in a bad situation, because I can only cancel 4 days before I'm supposed to show up, when apparently it was given to me a month ago? However, the thing is there isn't a server's signature, and I thought I would have had to be served in person, rather than have it left on my mom's doorstep. Is that even legal? I don't even live with my mom, I live in a different city and I only come to see her every once in awhile.

CdwJava

It is very liklely, then, that the service will not be good. However, this will not ultimately prevent you from testifying, it will only possibly keep you from being arrested for failing to show.

You also have to be afraid that your mother signed for it on yuor behalf and, perhaps, the server had reason to believe you had been lawfully served by mail or other means.

I would call the DA's office in the morning to explain the situation.

- Carl

h0peless151

I did that, and I was able to postpone my appearance.

Thank you for all your help and advice. It has really helped clear the chaos going on between my family and myself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">