• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Called the police for assistance and I get arrested!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dyounce

What is the name of your state?
Florida
i Walk out of a club and see my car was side swiped in the parking lot. I call the police to report a hut and run. They arrive and we start talking. They asked if I smoked weed. At this point, not even thinking I am now going to be looked at, I said yes a few hours ago. They ask me to get out of the car. They then search my vehicle without consent. Stating they had probably cause to search. Why do they need to search? I admitted to doing it.

So they start searching my car and In my bag on the passenger side they find some ecstasy pills that some one gave me and I didn’t even know what they were, which is why I didn’t take them. Regardless,
Should can this suppressed via the fourth amendment? I was the one who called them. I was asking for assistance. And then I get arrested. Such lazy police work. Instead they are fine with someone hitting a parked car and probably driving home extremely drunk. Mind blowing stuff. Potentially being charged as a felon for a victimless crime. The entire club smelled like weed yet they arrest me and find some pills.

quincy

What is the name of your state?
Florida
i Walk out of a club and see my car was side swiped in the parking lot. I call the police to report a hut and run. They arrive and we start talking. They asked if I smoked weed. At this point, not even thinking I am now going to be looked at, I said yes a few hours ago. They ask me to get out of the car. They then search my vehicle without consent. Stating they had probably cause to search. Why do they need to search? I admitted to doing it.

So they start searching my car and In my bag on the passenger side they find some ecstasy pills that some one gave me and I didn’t even know what they were, which is why I didn’t take them. Regardless,
Should can this suppressed via the fourth amendment? I was the one who called them. I was asking for assistance. And then I get arrested. Such lazy police work. Instead they are fine with someone hitting a parked car and probably driving home extremely drunk. Mind blowing stuff. Potentially being charged as a felon for a victimless crime. The entire club smelled like weed yet they arrest me and find some pills.
Recreational use of marijuana is a crime in Florida. Possession of ecstasy is a crime in Florida. While you might not face jail time for the marijuana, ecstasy possession comes with the possibility of serious prison time (5 years).

You need to get a good defense attorney and you need to stop talking to anyone but this attorney. You have already confessed to the police about your marijuana use. Your attorney will investigate the search of your vehicle but the discovery of ecstasy is going to make it harder for you to escape prison time if the evidence cannot be suppressed.

Here is a link to the Florida Bar’s Lawyer Referral Service; https://www.floridabar.org/public/lrs/

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">