• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Calling CPS on mother and stepfather?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mixedin82

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

Hi, I had visitation with my 2 children, 8 and 10 years old, for the first five weeks of the summer. During that time they spent a lot of time with my relatives.

They were at my brothers house last Saturday and he was playing the xbox with my son. My son says to my bro, "my step-dad has this game on the xbox, but he is not as good as you uncle mick." My nephew looked at my son and said "you have a step-dad," my son says "yeah but all he wants to do is play xbox, take a nap, and beat us(him and his sister)."

The next day after my bro thought it over he called me and explained to me what was said. I sat my children down over the course of the next couple days individually and talked to them. They both explained that over the course of the last couple months he has beat them 10+ times. Not only did he beat them but when their mother gave him permission to do so he, told by my son to me, says "whoo hoo, I get to beat y'all" in front of them.

I talked it over with some family to get some incite and then told the childrens mother that we needed to talk. They stated during the talk that when they break the rules they deserve the punishment. I said that there are others way to punish them! I told them that over the last 3+ years I have only spanked them 5 times combined, and they dont do anything to be spanked that often by anyone. They are both very well spoken, well mannered and they are mature enough to be talked to rather than to be spanked by someone who has only known them for 2 years.

I became so frustrated with them trying to justify their methods and call me out on things that are irrelavant that I told them that I was just going to call CPS and let them do their investigation.

I have another court case in September for custody due to her inability to provide for them financially, her inability to maintain an address and provide a stable/suitable learning enviroment (the children have been in 5 different schools and missed over 9 weeks of school from June of 2008 through December of 2009) and I guess now this with a long list of small things. Just want to make certain I am not overreacting by calling and want to make certain that this needs to be addressed by someone other than myself or prior to going to court in September? Any advice given is much appreciated!

p.s. I have 2 trackbacks attached that explain more of the background including my visitation
https://forum.freeadvice.com/child-custody-visitation-37/i-really-need-advice-about-relocations-482493.html

https://forum.freeadvice.com/child-custody-visitation-37/i-really-need-some-help-custody-school-again-512649.html

Last edited:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

Hi, I had visitation with my 2 children, 8 and 10 years old, for the first five weeks of the summer. During that time they spent a lot of time with my relatives.

They were at my brothers house last Saturday and he was playing the xbox with my son. My son says to my bro, "my step-dad has this game on the xbox, but he is not as good as you uncle mick." My nephew looked at my son and said "you have a step-dad," my son says "yeah but all he wants to do is play xbox, take a nap, and beat us(him and his sister)."

The next day after my bro thought it over he called me and explained to me what was said. I sat my children down over the course of the next couple days individually and talked to them. They both explained that over the course of the last couple months he has beat them 10+ times. Not only did he beat them but when their mother gave him permission to do so he, told by my son to me, says "whoo hoo, I get to beat y'all" in front of them.

I talked it over with some family to get some incite and then told the childrens mother that we needed to talk. They stated during the talk that when they break the rules they deserve the punishment. I said that there are others way to punish them! I told them that over the last 3+ years I have only spanked them 5 times combined, and they dont do anything to be spanked that often by anyone. They are both very well spoken, well mannered and they are mature enough to be talked to rather than to be spanked by someone who has only known them for 2 years.

I became so frustrated with them trying to justify their methods and call me out on things that are irrelavant that I told them that I was just going to call CPS and let them do their investigation.

I have another court case in September for custody due to her inability to provide for them financially, her inability to maintain an address and provide a stable/suitable learning enviroment (the children have been in 5 different schools and missed over 9 weeks of school from June of 2008 through December of 2009) and I guess now this with a long list of small things. Just want to make certain I am not overreacting by calling and want to make certain that this needs to be addressed by someone other than myself or prior to going to court in September? Any advice given is much appreciated!

p.s. I have 2 trackbacks attached that explain more of the background including my visitation
https://forum.freeadvice.com/child-custody-visitation-37/i-really-need-advice-about-relocations-482493.html

https://forum.freeadvice.com/child-custody-visitation-37/i-really-need-some-help-custody-school-again-512649.html
Duplicate post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">