• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a 13 year old make the custody choice?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hondaex

That is not a newsflash. I understand that completely. I appreciate the posting by Clt747. To speak more correctly, Clt747's posting answered my fiance's question in regard to "her" original question fully and completely.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
Clt747's posting answered my fiance's question in regard to "her" original question fully and completely.
Please understand, though, that LdiJ's advice was more practical. I simply copied and pasted the statute, and there's a lot of wiggle room in the word "may." But if "I don't like the rules" is the child's reason for wanting to move I doubt the CP has anything to worry about, regardless of the judge.

hondaex

I, we, my fiance appreciate that. She intends to find and consult with an attorney next week. This exercise has been very beneficial to her emotional state of mind in the meantime. She has been a basket case since last night when the threat of a custody battle from her ex was made. She's quite willing to trust her situation to a judge.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
That is not a newsflash. I understand that completely. I appreciate the posting by Clt747. To speak more correctly, Clt747's posting answered my fiance's question in regard to "her" original question fully and completely.
Yeah, well - one couldn't tell from your use of "we" and "our". :rolleyes:

OhReally?

I, we, my fiance appreciate that. She intends to find and consult with an attorney next week. This exercise has been very beneficial to her emotional state of mind in the meantime. She has been a basket case since last night when the threat of a custody battle from her ex was made. She's quite willing to trust her situation to a judge.
If there are significant issues about the child(ren), then asking for an appointment of a GAL (Guardian Ad Litem) would be appropriate...and could be costly.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
If there are significant issues about the child(ren), then asking for an appointment of a GAL (Guardian Ad Litem) would be appropriate...and could be costly.
That's a very good point, Hondaex. When I was looking up that statute for you I noticed several articles concerning guardians ad litem.

At this point it might be more efficient for you to browse the statutes for yourself.

Go to http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/ (without the [xxx] brackets) and then click on Title 26 Domestic Relations. It breaks down into several articles, sub-articles, and sub-sub-articles, but you'll find all the information you need there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">