• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can a breach be claimed after contract expiry?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sam72

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
NJ

I had a lease agreement, which expired in October. After expiry, landlord claimed breach of contract over few minor issues (just to forefeit my security deposit). I am pretty sure that I can prove him wrong in court.
But I want to know whether somebody can claim breach of contract after contract expiry? Any information in this regard will be greatly appreciated.

S

seniorjudge

sam72 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
NJ

I had a lease agreement, which expired in October. After expiry, landlord claimed breach of contract over few minor issues (just to forefeit my security deposit). I am pretty sure that I can prove him wrong in court.
But I want to know whether somebody can claim breach of contract after contract expiry? Any information in this regard will be greatly appreciated.
He will not be able to prove a breach of contract if the contract were not breached at the time it expired.

We'd need some facts and details to comment on your case.

JETX

sam72 said:
But I want to know whether somebody can claim breach of contract after contract expiry?
The CORRECT answer is yes, a contract can be enforced or litigated after its 'expiration'.... up until the expiration of your states SOL on the cause of action (breach).

However, I think you're confusing a contract with a lease. A breach of lease can be pursued after the termination of the lease period.... again, up until the expiration of your state's SOL.

S

seniorjudge

JETX said:
The CORRECT answer is yes, a contract can be enforced or litigated after its 'expiration'.... up until the expiration of your states SOL on the cause of action (breach).

However, I think you're confusing a contract with a lease. A breach of lease can be pursued after the termination of the lease period.... again, up until the expiration of your state's SOL.
Glad to know I was correct.

But are you saying that you think a lease is not a contract?

panzertanker

JETX said:
Nope, that is not what I said at all. Where did you get that idea??

"However, I think you're confusing a contract with a lease"

Main Entry: con·fuse
Pronunciation: k&n-'fyüz
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): con·fused; con·fus·ing
Etymology: back-formation from Middle English confused perplexed, from Middle French confus, from Latin confusus, past participle of confundere
1 archaic : to bring to ruin
2 a : to make embarrassed : ABASH b : to disturb in mind or purpose : THROW OFF
3 a : to make indistinct : BLUR <stop confusing the issue> b : to mix indiscriminately : JUMBLE c : to fail to differentiate from an often similar or related other <confuse money with comfort>
- con·fus·ing·ly /-'fyü-zi[ng]-lE/ adverb

JETX

panzertanker said:
"However, I think you're confusing a contract with a lease"
In hindsight, it would appear that I was saying that a lease was not in fact a contract. Of course, that is not what I meant to say (or imply).
The point I was trying to make was that the poster was confused in his terminology, using 'contract' where I believe he meant to use 'lease'.

"But I want to know whether somebody can claim breach of contract after contract expiry?"
Would have more accurately been stated as:
"But I want to know whether somebody can claim breach of LEASE after LEASE EXPIRATION?"

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">