• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a child sue their father for paternity and back child support??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Just Blue

loserforever said:
What is the name of your state? Colorado

I have a difficult situation.. my son is 20 years old.. his father lives in colorado and we live in nebraska

I have checked colorado statutes pertaining paternity suits and it states the child can sue the father for paternity before he reaches the age of 21..

Can my son sue his father for paternity and back child support even though he lives here in nebraska but his father lives in colorado..

His father didnt acknowledge my son until he was 5 years old and didnt pay any child support from the time he was born until he reached 5 years old.. he had to legally adopt his own biological son because I was married to another man at the time of his birth thus making that man his legal father..

My exhusband had to relinquish parental rights so his real biological father could adopt him..

Can my son sue for paternity and back child support because his father refused to pay any child support or refused to acknowledge him.. does it matter that his biological father adopted him at the age of 5??

Does my son have the right to sue for paternity and back child support even though my son is grown??

any information would be appreciated
Fairsfair
Bold and underlined...;)

E

eme76

loserforever said:
What is the name of your state? Colorado

I have a difficult situation.. my son is 20 years old.. his father lives in colorado and we live in nebraska

I have checked colorado statutes pertaining paternity suits and it states the child can sue the father for paternity before he reaches the age of 21..

Can my son sue his father for paternity and back child support even though he lives here in nebraska but his father lives in colorado..

His father didnt acknowledge my son until he was 5 years old and didnt pay any child support from the time he was born until he reached 5 years old.. he had to legally adopt his own biological son because I was married to another man at the time of his birth thus making that man his legal father..

My exhusband had to relinquish parental rights so his real biological father could adopt him..

Can my son sue for paternity and back child support because his father refused to pay any child support or refused to acknowledge him.. does it matter that his biological father adopted him at the age of 5??

Does my son have the right to sue for paternity and back child support even though my son is grown??

any information would be appreciated
i see that bio-dad paid after child was 5 and see nothing about ex paying anything:confused:

are we all reading the same thing here?
no fair bay...you beat me to it

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
loserforever said:
His father didnt acknowledge my son until he was 5 years old and didnt pay any child support from the time he was born until he reached 5 years old..
Which indicates that he DID pay support from the point where he adopted the child. At age 5.

Silverplum

fairisfair said:
What about asking in a polite manner so that you might be replied to?
Nice duck. :p

Do you have citations others could read?
And do you have any in the pertinent states?
And do you realize that these are merely rhetorical questions at this point, since the main question is answered?

Duck that. :cool:

edited to add: since we posted a minute apart, I didn't see the cite you posted for NM. On behalf of learners everywhere, I thank you for that portion of an answer.

Last edited:

fairisfair

stealth2 said:
Which indicates that he DID pay support from the point where he adopted the child. At age 5.
"Can my son sue for paternity and back child support because his father refused to pay any child support or refused to acknowledge him"

Which indicates that he didn't**************......

fairisfair

Silverplum said:
Nice duck. :p

Do you have citations others could read?
And do you have any in the pertinent states?
And do you realize that these are merely rhetorical questions at this point, since the main question is answered?

Duck that. :cool:

edited to add: since we posted a minute apart, I didn't see the cite you posted for NM. On behalf of learners everywhere, I thank you for that portion of an answer.
You pedal backwards quite nicely

Silverplum

fairisfair said:
You pedal backwards quite nicely
At least I was pleasant enough to accept your small offering with a bit of grace.

But, Duckling, you still haven't provided anything except the same tired cite for NM. The one you always cite. Which, in this instance, does not cover CO or NE. :rolleyes:

Someday, Duckling, you will learn that states have different laws. It's a big concept, but you'll learn.

fairisfair

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,168632,00.html

Obviously, as I stated previously, this was a different situation entirely, but doesn't change the effect.

There are other suits in other states too, but I really don't think I want to spend alot more time doing research for you.

Any thing else I can do for you SilverPlum**************.....since you asked so nicely?

fairisfair

Silverplum said:
At least I was pleasant enough to accept your small offering with a bit of grace.

But, Duckling, you still haven't provided anything except the same tired cite for NM. The one you always cite. Which, in this instance, does not cover CO or NE. :rolleyes:

Someday, Duckling, you will learn that states have different laws. It's a big concept, but you'll learn.
hmmmmm...the one which I always cite**************.I did cite it on one other posting yesterday, but then again, if you already knew it existed, why would you have to ask. Duck Duck Duck Duck GOOSE. Grace is only a word YOU know how to spell, nothing more. True Grace would have deleted that snotty post.

Last edited:

acmb05

OMG people :D :D

The son can not sue for the first five years because paternity was never established with his bio dad so bio dad was not obligated to pay.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
acmb05 said:
OMG people :D :D

The son can not sue for the first five years because paternity was never established with his bio dad so bio dad was not obligated to pay.
Oh man. Now you answered and it takes away the fun of watching the kids play duck duck goose. I was rather enjoying watching the little ones run in circles. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">