• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a potential employer call my current one without my permission?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

coraldiver2000

What is the name of your state (Florida)? Florida

I work for the military under a subcontract. There was recently an award for a new prime contractor that my current employer is going to transition to. I applied for a new position under the new prime and marked on my application not to tell my current employer. After two months, I have no offer and no responses from the new prime. I have this week learned that they have told my current employer who is making life unbearable. I suspect they are going to fire me (probably tomorrow).

Did the new contractor violate my rights? And/or do I have any recourse if my current employer fires me?

eerelations

Potential employers can call anyone they like, including your current employer, with or without your permission.

It's perfectly legal to fire an employee for job-hunting. However, your contract may specify otherwise; if you think it does, take it to an attorney for review.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">