• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a record label also be a music publisher?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

auksmart

What is the name of your state? Alberta (This is a general question that is probably not state/province specific).

I am in the process of starting an independent record label. We have a lot of talent, some of which have signed contracts with us. Due to a limited budget we have very little legal assistance.

In our contracts, the artists sign over their mechanical and publishing rights to us.

Recently it was mentioned to me that a Record Label could not also be a Publishing Company. Is this correct?

Also, if this is correct, and my partners also started a Publishing Company, would it be a conflict of interest if the artists are signed to both of our companies?

Thanks, and advice would be great!

Andrew

HomeGuru

auksmart said:
What is the name of your state? Alberta (This is a general question that is probably not state/province specific).

I am in the process of starting an independent record label. We have a lot of talent, some of which have signed contracts with us. Due to a limited budget we have very little legal assistance.

In our contracts, the artists sign over their mechanical and publishing rights to us.

Recently it was mentioned to me that a Record Label could not also be a Publishing Company. Is this correct?

Also, if this is correct, and my partners also started a Publishing Company, would it be a conflict of interest if the artists are signed to both of our companies?

Thanks, and advice would be great!

Andrew
**A: the last time I checked, Alberta was not a state of the US.

H

hexeliebe

Still doesn't matter, since the company is based in Canada. The laws of the state, country where the company is based rule any contracts and/or litigation matters.

A

auksmart

Since I will be dealing with a US company for royalty collection, I would just like to be on par with US law.

I don't see what being in a different country has to do with someone answering the question based on a "what if" scenario.

H

hexeliebe

What if I put a gun to someone's head and pulled the trigger? Is this murder?

Depends. and that's the point. Not only are you dealing with differing laws between the U.S. and Canada, but also international copyright treaties, trade treaties and other tenants of internaltional law.

Just because you may want to be on the right side of the U.S. law the laws of Canada are what you WILL be held to, even if you are following the U.S. law and Canada law is different.

and That's the point.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Why is it that, despite the fact that our instructions clearly state, "U.S. LAW ONLY", Canadians are the only foreigners who appear to not be able to understand the English language? Our instructions are simple and clear, and despite the fact that the question "What is your State name?" is asked on each new thread, they just don't seem to "get it."

We don't have any other foreign nation writers coming here. If they do, they abide by our rules, realize their mistake, and move on.

What is it with these Canadians?

Could it be that their country name really is "Cana-duh" ?

IAAL

A

auksmart

Seriously, do you think I really care about your opinion on Canada.

I am just interested what the US law is on this issue. If you do not know, why waste my time, I simply don't care.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

auksmart said:
Seriously, do you think I really care about your opinion on Canada.

I am just interested what the US law is on this issue. If you do not know, why waste my time, I simply don't care.

My response:

Okay, let me explain this to you . . .

We're not going to "waste" our time with you conducting research of an issue, using American law, that will be of no use to you in Canada. So, if you can't use the information we give you, why would we waste our time - - just because you're insisting that we do it anyway?

Surely, there must be a Canadian legal site that you can use.

IAAL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">