• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can an "intellectual property" created on another's computer be recovered in SCC?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOSP

Can an "intellectual property" created on another's computer be recovered in SCC?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I was urgently called to NY from CA to be a part of a design collaboration. I did not have time to travel 60 miles to get my computer before my flight. I used the person I was collaborating with's computer to build a 3D model of a client's NYC apartment. I created a lot of computer files (Photoshop documents, as well as a 3D SketchUp model). Stupidly, I did not put the files on a jump drive while in NY. I started to do this, but it was taking too much time to transfer the files and we had to get to the airport for our return flight. Now the person whose computer I used to create the model will not send the 3D model to me. I am filing small claims to recover money owed to me by the person I collaborated with. Can I also be awarded my 'intellectual property"?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Where does the person you are planning to sue live? If in New York, then you will need to sue there.

LOSP

Where does the person you are planning to sue live? If in New York, then you will need to sue there.
The person lives in CA.

So in addition to monies owed for services rendered, is it possible to retrieve an "intellectual property" in California SCC?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The person lives in CA.

So in addition to monies owed for services rendered, is it possible to retrieve an "intellectual property" in California SCC?
You're not going to get this back from the small claims system in CA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">