• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can crohns disease be considered a disability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Even if I got letters from her doctors and school transcripts to show that she has missed a lot of school because of this disease. She does work part time. I just read somewhere else that child support continues according to the divorce decree but if there is a disability then it will continue!
She is NOT disabled. She can work. She can go to college. She is NOT disabled. She may be ill. She may have an illness that will NOT be cured. But she is NOT disabled. Get over yourself and quit being selfish.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I didn't mean to offend anyone, I apologize for that, but I am just having a hard time now coming to the realization that child support is coming to an end and I will be out that money that I have become dependent on.
Well then you are an IDIOT. Because child support is meant to be a reimbursement and not a form of parental support. You shouldn't be dependent upon child support. You need to work for a living. If you can't live on your own earnings, then you need to decrease your expenses. Simple.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I went to undergrad, post grad AND law school with NO HELP from my parents. Why is your daughter so entitled?

nextwife

I went to undergrad, post grad AND law school with NO HELP from my parents. Why is your daughter so entitled?
As did my dad, and then my sibling (dad was already deceased). My other sib got TWO Ivy League Masters plus her undergrad, also with NO parental or spousal help. Dad died when she was a preteen. She is a SINGLE adoptive parent and gets no child support, either. Never will.

Last edited:

LdiJ

She is NOT disabled. She can work. She can go to college. She is NOT disabled. She may be ill. She may have an illness that will NOT be cured. But she is NOT disabled. Get over yourself and quit being selfish.
I know a 23 year old with Crohns who is receiving SSI, so the Social Security Administration does recognize it as a disability.

However, I do agree that its a disability that can be managed with proper care.

suewin

I know a 23 year old with Crohns who is receiving SSI, so the Social Security Administration does recognize it as a disability.

However, I do agree that its a disability that can be managed with proper care.
Good news!! So, I actually could use that has an argument for fighting the emancipation.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Good news!! So, I actually could use that has an argument for fighting the emancipation.
Yeah, sure, go ahead and use the fact that some random stranger knows a 23 year old who is getting disability payments as PROOF that your daughter is disabled. Let us know how that goes for you, k?

<spit>

LdiJ

How could you interpret what I said in that way? If was simply pointing out to OG that its a valid disability. That doesn't make it the kind of disability that would require a parent to continue to pay child support.

That all depends on whether or not your daughter is capable of being self-supportive, and it sounds like she is.

Silverplum

How could you interpret what I said in that way?
Many posters will wait all day, all night, and a good chunk of next week for someone to advise them to do exactly as they wish; or for a post that could be construed as advice to do exactly as they wish.

;)

(Awards *Gold Star* to self for the proper usages of "advise" and "advice!" :D :cool:)

csi7

If the poster wants to know whether her child would be considered disabled by Social Security standards, then the poster needs to have the disability application filled out, all the medical evidence available, and submit the application for approval by Social Security.

Crohn's Disease is considered a disabling condition with some strict requirements.

That is the direction the poster can go.

The student can also apply for grants that target medical conditions to attend college.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If the poster wants to know whether her child would be considered disabled by Social Security standards...
Of course, that's NOT what the OP wants. OP wants her adult-child to be considered disabled so she can continue to collect money from the father so that she (OP) can continue to enjoy her lifestyle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">