• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can HOA reappropriate money specifically intended for monthly dues?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

satre51

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN

In January I paid my HOA a lump sum to cover dues for the entire year (instead of paying each month) with a check labeled "monthly HOA dues only".

Between March and July the HOA management company levied 4 fines on me with a vague explanation like insufficient landscaping, and they secretly paid those fines on my behalf by subtracting from what I paid for HOA dues, without my knowledge, giving me the impression the fines were waived. Now they are fining me for being late on my monthly dues. When I responded that I had already paid the year's dues in advance, the management company said their policy is to put whatever money is on a homeowners account towards any past due balances like fines.

My question: Can the HOA legally re-appropriate money clearly specified to be used only for dues, to pay other expenses they throw at me? I prefer to dispute their bogus fines separately, but according to their records those fines have already been paid, as if I had acknowleging wrongdoing in paying the fines (which are actually still in dispute)

FarmerJ

send to them a certified letter demanding proof of the so called violations that supposedly generated fines. They may well bite but if they do not then you should decide if you want to go see a Atty.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">