• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I deduct child support owed on taxes?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? WA

I am supposed be receiving child support, but the state is unable to collect because the other parent avoids paying them (he is a commercial fisherman). Is there a tax credit available for those of us who do not receive their court ordered child support, such as a bad debt credit?

S

seniorjudge

toastnjelly4all said:
What is the name of your state? WA

I am supposed be receiving child support, but the state is unable to collect because the other parent avoids paying them (he is a commercial fisherman). Is there a tax credit available for those of us who do not receive their court ordered child support, such as a bad debt credit?
If you mean is there a deduction for taking care of your kids, I wish!

abezon

No. You'll have to drag him into court for contempt proceedings. If the judge tells him to pay or spend the fishing season in jail, he might cough up some cash.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">