• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I drop spouse from health coverage?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bobby22

What is the name of your state? NJ

Just received open enrollment package (July 08-July 09), premiums have went up and they have added a surcharge for spouse who is eligible through her employer****************************.....My question is: Can I just cover me and the kids and have her get benefits through her job? Her open enrollment isn't until November 08, would this situation fall under a quailfying event?

We would be saving a little over $200 a month.

Thank you in advance
Bobby

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Assuming that:

1.) It is open enrollment for you
2.) Your employer has a three or four tier plan

you can legally drop your wife from your coverage and only cover yourself and your kids.

She will have to investigate whether or not her employer considers a voluntary loss of coverage during a spousal open enrollment to be a qualifying event. It can be legally; it is not necessarily.

momm2500

yes this is a qualifying event. make sure you have a letter from your employer indicating that spouse is being terminated and get the HIPAA certificate (credibility of coverage letter) so she will not be subject to pre-x under her plan.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It CAN be a qualifying event, legally.

That does NOT mean that the wife's employer has chosen to consider it so. She needs to check before automatically assuming that she will be able to pick up her own employer's coverage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">