• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I file for new divorce if he committed bigamy before divorce finalized?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecmst12

So why didn't you call a lawyer and file an appeal 1/2/09? Why did you think it would be ok to wait 2 years to contest the divorce?

How old is your child?

Clear As Mud

Great...you gave me some great advice about child support. Now do you have advice about the rest? A man got away with everything. AGAIN!!! I had nothing during the battle but I have way too much ammo for the war. What do I do with this? I don't want to cut his *ick off... but I will. I have no remorse after 6 years. Sorry darlin' you did nothing for me but let our son squaller in heroin for a few years and me destitute while he lives in royalty in China. All the best....

ecmst12

It's really none of your concern if he married his current wife before he was divorced from you. That's their problem, not yours. It doesn't affect you at all.

How old is your son?

Great...you gave me some great advice about child support. Now do you have advice about the rest? A man got away with everything. AGAIN!!! I had nothing during the battle but I have way too much ammo for the war. What do I do with this? I don't want to cut his *ick off... but I will. I have no remorse after 6 years. Sorry darlin' you did nothing for me but let our son squaller in heroin for a few years and me destitute while he lives in royalty in China. All the best....
OP - there's not much likelihood the Court is going to reopen a divorce after 2 years. Courts offer an appeal time and Motions for Reconsideration, etc. and you even admitted you received the papers 2 years ago. After this much time when life has gone on, assets acquired, transferred, disposed of, etc. - it becomes too much of a mess. Ask an attorney but be ready to pay a hefty retainer just for the chance to get it reopened if you can find someone to take it. I know in my state we have "laches" and that would likely stop reopening because you sat on your hands this long.

He is only getting away with what you allowed him to get away with. You had every opportunity to counter file or make your divorce contested. At some point, you need to stop blaming him for your decisions and being jealous of his life.

Love and revenge can rarely occupy the same space. Let go of him and what he has or doesn't have and maybe some happiness (and love) might enter your life. My best advice for you would be to take whatever money you want to spend on a lawyer and use that for therapy to help you cope and plan for your future life.

Last edited:

Clear As Mud

It's really none of your concern if he married his current wife before he was divorced from you. That's their problem, not yours. It doesn't affect you at all.

How old is your son?
21.Really? I think it is my concern. I think if his wife found out she might not take it as well as you have. She is a "way beyond old school Chinese woman who's family won't take it quite as well as you" woman. But, hey, Mr. American, you know it all**************.

Proserpina

You were the SAHM for 20 years, no?

Hmmmmm.

Yeah, but she was only responsible for the good parts of the boy. That no good druggie of him was ALL dad's fault, even though she was probably with the kid the majority of the time. :rolleyes:
Yep, and son was 19 when divorce was final. Not to mention Dad who disowned son and was living/staying in China is somehow responsible for son's drug addiction.

ecmst12

I'm not a MR anyone.

Your child was an adult when your divorce was finalized. So, you were NEVER entitled to any child support. Of course, you could have filed for support as soon as he moved out since the child was still a minor then, but since you didn't, you can't go back and change that now.

No, there is NOTHING you can do about anything that happened NOW. If you had gotten the divorce papers 2 weeks ago, you could have appealed. Now, it is too late, and you should seriously consider getting some therapy to help you deal with this and move on.

So it might upset his wife if she found out he was still married to you when they got married. But that still shouldn't affect YOU. Wanting to inflict misery on someone else is not a desire you should indulge. It will not make you feel better in the long run.

Clear As Mud

I gave you some pretty good advice about child support.
I agree and I thank you. The only problem is he is 21. Daddy swept him under the rug just like me.

I guess my biggest frustration is how come when you have $$ you can get away with felonies and other illegal activities (such as bigamy and filing incorrectly to the IRS). I find all this out 6 years later and everyone tells me..."let it go" or "that's the atty's job to screw you over" etc.

I am not going to just "get over it"! I refuse to let him get away with this crap. I might as well give him the keys to my truck (since I don't own anything else) and a jar of vaseline.

Everyone else in this forum can think like that....Fortunately, I still have some fight left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">