• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I file single although I am married if........

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

m2thestars

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Arizona

Can I file single status? I am completing my tax returns thru Turbo Tax. I was just recently married to an alien overstay in November, 2004. I have not changed my name or filed anything with Social Security, MVD, or any court to change my name. My employer does not know I am married and my withholdings are based on single status and my W-2 states that I am single. Turbo Tax would not let me e-file because it required my spouses SSN. My spouse does not have a social security #, or an ITIN, nor is he getting either anytime soon and I want to file my taxes. Should I file single or married/separate. I don't anticipate that he will will be filing a return anytime soon, due to the numerous issues we need to deal with, but I don't want to get in trouble either way. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for your time:) :eek:

Snipes5

If your husband does not wish to obtain an ITIN at this time, you must file Married Filing Separate.

If AZ is a community property state, you won't be able to file electronically, you'll have to mail the return.

If TT won't accept that, you can do the return as MFS, print it, and then in the space for spouse's SSN, just put the initials "NRA", which stands for Non-Resident Alien. Then you will have to mail it.

I don't know what your problems are, but if hubby plans to get a green card, it would be best to begin filing taxes. Immigration takes an interest in whether or not the prospective green card holder has been obeying all the laws of the US, tax laws being among those.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">