• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I get back that "gift"?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cculon

What is the name of your state?CA

My ex asked me to buy jewelry for her. I never had this idea but she told me it was the way to do before wedding. I was unemployment. Now we break up. She asked me to share all the cost of everything with her and I did that. But when I asked her to return the jewelry, she did not return it. I still keep the receipt with my name and the date of purchase on it. Can I get it back if I bring her to the court?
Thank you
Curie

nanaII

Probably not...

It could be considered a gift. You can try to take her to court, but you may possibly lose.

tijerin

Was this "gift" and engagemen ring? If so, and she backed out of the engagement, then she "could" be required to give it back under breach of contract. However, they'll probably look at any other form of jewelry as a gift. I've n ever heard of any "tradition" to give your soon-to-be-spouse jewelry prior to a wedding other than an engagement ring, personally.

cculon

It is not a gift because this is her idea to get my jewelry

Hi tijerin:
Thank you for your respone. I don't know about the law for this case but the "breach of the contract" makes sense to me. Yes, it serves as a engagement thing following her idea.
Can you confirm that it is possible to bring her to the court and I can get back my jewelry.
Thanks,
Curie

BL

Was this "gift" and engagemen ring?

If yes, you should be able to get an award.

If no, other Jewelry probably not .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">